Help with picking a swagger.

Johnny05

I've been picking up .223 and 556 brass for a while now, and I'm looking for a swagging tool.

What do you guys recommend and why, if possible.
Thanks in advance
John

I have pocket swagers from Mighty armory, RCBS, and Lee. The Lee is cheaper and similar to the RCBS. Not thrilled with the MA setup. I use them in my Redding bb2 press. The Shell holder adapter would be needed for use in the Forster coax I believe.

For swaging I use an RCBS swager on a Rock Chucker and it works pretty well. I would consider an upgrade to a Swage It if I was going to do a head just for bulk rifle case prep on my 650XL.

I use LC brass for my 6 Mongoose (AR) and 17-223AI (bolt action). For those I use a pocket reamer because it seems more consistent. No empirical evidence to support that other than better/more consistent "feel" in priming. I also ream the flash holes on some of these, ream the pockets, etc. Things I don't bother with doing on good brass for better rifles.

I have the RCBS, it's slow but easy to use for small batches. If i had a bucket of brass to do, I would buy the $60 swage kit for my Lee APP press. You can't do it any faster than this without spending a lot more money.

I have a Dillon swager and also use a Swaging die on a 1050 used for prepping brass.
I still end up using a deburring tool in a drill press to finish it off

Last edited:
Had a Dillon, son liked it more than I. Too long to change from large to small and varied with web thickness when running various headstamps but excellent tool