HELP... Shots dropping off more than expected. Remington 700 .308 Hunting Rifle

BHINES1216

I'm getting ready to head out to Nebraska in a month for Mule Deer and went to the range a few times this past week an noticed that when zeroed at 100yrd, I'm getting a 7.5" drop on 200yrd shots. This seems like much more than I should expect given my research. The gun is a Remington 700 .308. I am shooting Federal Fusion Soft Point 150 Gr. There was no wind, elevation 750 and temp of 55 degrees. Scope height is 2". I am not a beginner when it comes to hunting, but have not had the need to really dial in a rifle for longer distances until now. Any input would be appreciated. I am curious if copper fouling could have anything to do with this. Thanks in advance!

but have not had the need to really dial in a rifle for longer distances until now. Any input would be appreciated. I am curious if copper fouling could have anything to do with this. Thanks in advance!

There is no research. Given the information you provided, which is not really useful for your particular question, this might be chalked up to how you'd rifle shoots….

…we really need is your actual muzzle velocity..? If you don't know, what does the box say and what length barrel do you have?

Now, as to cooper fouling…copper fouling actually makes the velocity go faster. Usually. When a barrel is new, it fouls with copper, and makes the barrel diameter smaller, which in turn creates more pressure. On a small scale. Some say it lubricates the barrel. Point is, after 200 rounds or so, MV tends to plateau for awhile. That would make your POI higher actually.

If it was a problem with your barrel, it would mean you burned it out. As a guy who's burned out .308s before…you'd have to have shot 4-6k rounds through it…
Have you shot that many rounds through it?

I'm getting ready to head out to Nebraska in a month for Mule Deer and went to the range a few times this past week an noticed that when zeroed at 100yrd, I'm getting a 7.5" drop on 200yrd shots. This seems like much more than I should expect given my research. The gun is a Remington 700 .308. I am shooting Federal Fusion Soft Point 150 Gr. There was no wind, elevation 750 and temp of 55 degrees. Scope height is 2". I am not a beginner when it comes to hunting, but have not had the need to really dial in a rifle for longer distances until now. Any input would be appreciated. I am curious if copper fouling could have anything to do with this. Thanks in advance!
Yes, something is wrong. Did you chronograph it?

Per your parameters, assuming a 2820 FPS MV out the box (not sure if it was tested with 26") your drop is -3.66" at 200 yards assuming you have the same barrel length.

Last edited:
When heading for Nebraska for a hunt, zero your rifle for 200 yards for a start, chronograph your load, then make a drop chart for your load. We hunted up around Oats and Valentine, shots ran 300-400 yards, and I shot a 6mm Remington with 95g Partitions. My hunting partner zero'd his rifle for 1" high at 200 putting him 3.5" low at 300, with a little daylight over their back at 400.

You have to come up with your own system with the methods and tools you have at hand.

If you thoroughly clean your barrel you might end up with totally different results. I would probably start with a cleaning then plan to shoot some fouling rounds then rezero (dont clean the barrel again till after the hunt). If you don't have a chronograph I would zero for a 300yd PBR zero and call it good.

Bore scopes are cheap now and that is one way to see if copper fouling/carbon fouling is excessive.
I have seen great shooting rifles start shooting badly with heavily fouled barrels. Carbon fouling is also a problem as it hides copper fouling.
I would do as Koda said, clean it very well and zero for longer than 100 yards.

When heading for Nebraska for a hunt, zero your rifle for 200 yards for a start, chronograph your load, then make a drop chart for your load. We hunted up around Oats and Valentine, shots ran 300-400 yards, and I shot a 6mm Remington with 95g Partitions. My hunting partner zero'd his rifle for 1" high at 200 putting him 3.5" low at 300, with a little daylight over their back at 400.

You have to come up with your own system with the methods and tools you have at hand.
This one!

There is no research. Given the information you provided, which is not really useful for your particular question, this might be chalked up to how you'd rifle shoots….

…we really need is your actual muzzle velocity..? If you don't know, what does the box say and what length barrel do you have?

Now, as to cooper fouling…copper fouling actually makes the velocity go faster. Usually. When a barrel is new, it fouls with copper, and makes the barrel diameter smaller, which in turn creates more pressure. On a small scale. Some say it lubricates the barrel. Point is, after 200 rounds or so, MV tends to plateau for awhile. That would make your POI higher actually.

If it was a problem with your barrel, it would mean you burned it out. As a guy who's burned out .308s before…you'd have to have shot 4-6k rounds through it…
Have you shot that many rounds through it?
I have maybe shot a few hundred rounds through it.

So the next is your muzzle velocity and barrel length. You're suppose to get 3.7 inches of drop if you have 2820 MV…out of federal test barrel…at 24 inches…if you're not using their barrel, at their barrel length….then it shoots whatever it shoots. If it's grouping fine, and you have an ES conducive to factory ammo…which isn't great…then there's nothing to worry about.

Notice the other responses…

"Assuming a ____mv"

"Clean you barrel" but no reason why…

"Change your zero"

None of that addresses any concern. Fouling will not slow your barrel.

Changing your zero is just doing that. It doesn't address anything that's wrong, IF anything is wrong. There's also no benefit to 200y zeros. Even if you just wanted to be dialed to 200…just physically dial it. Now you won't have all the human and atmospheric error added in for doing an actual zero at 200.

Last edited:
If its a new gun/barrel with only about 200rds thru it and you haven't cleaned the barrel your probably experiencing the barrel settling into its newly fircracked chamber affecting your velocity and point of impact (zero). I would thoroughly clean the barrel, fire some fouling shots (maybe 10?.. ) then rezero. If you don't have a scope with an external dial or a holdover reticle I recommend a 6in diameter PBR zero for your upcoming longer range hunt, should give you a range of about 300yds without holding over.

I am using a Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO scope. I am confident of the zero. Barrel Length is 24".

Here are some photos of the muzzle. I may get a bore scope to check inside. I am not sure if I am in my own head here but something just does not seem right with this gun and I want to be confident before this trip.

Attachments

• 20241011_121554 (1).jpg
    20241011_121554 (1).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20241011_121534 (1).jpg
    20241011_121534 (1).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 4
I am using a Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO scope. I am confident of the zero. Barrel Length is 24".

Here are some photos of the muzzle. I may get a bore scope to check inside. I am not sure if I am in my own head here but something just does not seem right with this gun and I want to be confident before this trip.
Do your shots group?