Help please!

Yes it is all floated.

And I know I could have bought a better barrel but the whole point of this build was to be a "budget build" so I could not justify dropping $400 on a better barrel! I know E.R. Shaw isn't top quality and knew it when I made the purchase!

Don't sweat that you bought a Shaw, you have to start somewhere and it's better to start than sit on your thumbs putting zero rounds down range!!! You may have some kinks to work out but that's learning, just learn from the process and enjoy it then wear the barrel out gun)

Back on track, do you have any other rifle that you can mount the WOTac to and check it? Have you inspected the crown?
I had a little piece of bedding chip out once while I was screwing around and it caused the rifle to through shots every where and I was trying to track with the optic, I thought my scope crapped but it was the action tweaking.
If it is indeed the barrel a Tubbs final finish may be the ticket!

Thank you! I am definantly going to break it in, 1st time to do this to a barrel so I appreciate all the help!

Last night I patched it out until the patches came out clean, next time I get to the range I guess I'll do the same after about 10 shots.

I would shot it once and then clean it. You do that 10 times. Shoot clean, shoot clean. Do that 10 times. The next time you go out, shoot 2 rds clean, 2 rds clean, do this sequence 5 times. Like I was saying in my first post.

Don't sweat that you bought a Shaw, you have to start somewhere and it's better to start than sit on your thumbs putting zero rounds down range!!! You may have some kinks to work out but that's learning, just learn from the process and enjoy it then wear the barrel out gun)

Back on track, do you have any other rifle that you can mount the WOTac to and check it? Have you inspected the crown?
I had a little piece of bedding chip out once while I was screwing around and it caused the rifle to through shots every where and I was trying to track with the optic, I thought my scope crapped but it was the action tweaking.
If it is indeed the barrel a Tubbs final finish may be the ticket!

Yes I do have a gun I could check the scope one or I have another scope I could check on this rifle.

Haven't really inspected the crown? But it looks normal to me but I may not be looking for the right thing? I will check bedding as well.

Also never heard of Tubbs final finish. But I'll so some research.
Thanks

I'd agree that optics came to mind first when reading your post last night. I'd still think about swapping on another scope.

However, there's one easier thing that comes to mind...
How about trying a different ammo? I know that I have rifles that seem to like only one, and some will shoot anything well. Just because it's a new barrel doesn't mean that the ammo you're using is the one you need or your rifle likes.

Just a thought.

I just thought of something. Did your barrel come with lapping paste?

It came with "uncle ed's bore paste" and some oil. But that is all, I think the paste is just a bore cleaner, doesn't say anything about lapping. Do I need something like "JB Bore (can't remember the rest of the name)"?

Ok I will definantly do that! Thank you very much
Ben one safe way to do it is use a tight fitting arbor with a patch on it that will fit very tight but still move up and down.

Soak it in the lapping compound and work the snot out of it about thirty times up and down or until the patch tears apart.

Repeat three or four times.

Shoot, clean, repeat ten times.

Shoot 3 shots, clean, repeat ten times.

Then clean it thoroughly.

Shoot it and have some fun, then clean it thoroughly. Then see if it's still fouling as bad.

If it is repeat the whole process again.

It should tighten up quickly.

Be sure when lapping to stop short of the crown and short of the throat by just a little. You can measure that and mark your cleaning rod for the proper depth for each before you start.

Be sure and use a good bore guide.

Thanks for clarifying that and all the help! I'm going to do the lapping and try the scope on a different rifle! Maybe I can get it figured out soon:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.