Heaviest bullet to 4,000FPS

I've know scope-eye for probably 8ish years. He's been doing high speed stuff forever it seems. He made his own line(so to speak) of RUM rounds all the way down to 6mm if I remember right. Using alot of slow twist, light bullets.....crazy awesome speed and killer accurate.
Scooter

Don't worry about it I like when I am questioned about my loads and fps numbers, I like answering them because I have nothing to hide and don't fudge the numbers since there is no need to. And to add to that these numbers can be repeated any time, any time, any place, and in any conditions. Not some nuclear lab under Ideal conditions, I have got even higher numbers than that I have posted but do not feel comfortable reproducing the load repeating them or posting the numbers.
As far as the brass RUM brass does not last no matter how you load it, so I say screw it and take no prisoners. And as far as pressures go I am sure I am above the 65000 mark but that does not mean that at 66000 evrything goes awry, that is not how it works there is some saftey built in. I could be at 70000psi or even 75000 for all I know, flat primers are a given so I don't go by that heavy bolt lift however is where I draw the line and back off, there are other signs but that is my main one and has never let me down. You can get away with higher pressures with light bullets since by the time the pressure Peaks the light bullet has already started to move forward and is dissapating the pressure, so the peak in pressure is there far less longer than it's heavier counter part IE:300gr And as far as the numbers there is no one thing it is a combination of Those TTSXs with there short bearing surface, the RL17, the long barrel, it's slow twist rate, NON MAG Primers also help in keeping the pressure under control, I also jump the lands 100 to 125 thou I suspect that chamber has a lot of free bore to which all helps with dissapating the pressure. all these things together make up this ungodly round. I have a shooting buddy who has a 700P in 338 Lapua that I load 100gr of RL17 and he gets 4000fps with those 160s He cracks me up he has those 50 round ammo boxes and when he goes to the range he has 40 rounds loaded with 300s and 10 with the 160s in the same box.LOL

Dean
I always went with Bob Hagel's philosophy and pretty much with his loads, starting 10% lower and working up. He loaded for hunting and the most you could get safely out of a caliber and specific rifle.

It's so nice to know that I am not alone in loving the high velocity!!! 1988 I had a 6-284 !!!! I have a 338 LPM now using a 160 grain Barnes, and a 30-378 using a 130 grain Barnes!!! I know barrel life is going to be brought up!! But I love shooting them and knowing if I do my part they will always do their job!!
Dean (2)

Free bore would drop pressure at the start from my understaning. LRP ver MLRP is two different stories. Now I use LRP in my loads with FED-210 as my go to primer, but I am only burning about 75.5grs of powder, but my barrels are 26" mostly. Now in the RUM burning 100+grs. is something else. From what I read here, there a lot people using MLRP in everthing. I see their reasoning for it and I feel that above a certain amounts of power that would apply. I have used both and in my rifles I reduce the powder loads, which stands to reason to start with, but I never achieved the velocity or accuracies with them. I felt that the bigger kick from the Mag Primers was a little to much for those loads (Not my shoulder). My thinking is with LRP's the powder burned over a longer time and built pressure going down the barrel. Now I have been told different here, and that's alright. I have just been reading here about powder not lighting off, and it was being pointed toward primers. There loads were down in the 50grs I believe. Now over 59 years reloading I have had only a very few rounds that didn't light off that I reloaded. Anything that center fire cases I hand load, I don't purchase factory.

My 338 EDGE will send a 180gr Barnes TTSX with a compressed load 106gr of RL17 to 4000fps.
That is the most I have ever been able to get the 160gr TTSX I can get 4250fps.
This is with a 11.75 twist 34" barrel non mag primers, that rifles pet name is the Musket.LOL

Dean
Curious: Any meat damage?;)

You ever hear the phrase "the whole 9yds"? It's because A-10s have 9yards of ammo feeding each gun
A10s have one GAU 8 30mm Gatling gun. 1200 rounds in the box. I watched the weapons guys load an A10. once when I was an aircraft maintenance officer in the Air Force Very impressive operation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.