Hawkins Precision Hunter DBM issue??

That allowed you to feed a belted magnum??
Well let me say that the scotchbrite helped smooth the feeding some. It stopped scratching the cases.
With the belt on the case, you can still "feel" when it hits the feed lips.
It feels like a slight hesitation in the bolt handle until the belt passes the lips.
Does it function? Yes.
Does it feel awesome? No.
Nick @ Hawkins says they will have something worked out for the belted magnums next year.

You guys are making me nervous. I'm picking up a rifle on Friday that was built with the Hunter DBM. GS states it feeds smoothly. It's not a belted cartridge, but still another thing I worry about.

Having the same issue with my 300 PRC on a Kelbly action. Rough feeding, tearing up brass, slop in the magazine fit, and difficulty removing magazine.

Hopefully some of the tricks in this thread will relieve some of the issues.

Thanks for the tips.
Some things to keep in mind, billet aluminum is harder than brass. We have steel AICS mags that scratch brass, but generally all mags wear in. Brass is soft.

Please also keep in mind you need to load the magazine with rounds to snug them up. The LA magazines are designed with less clearance than the shorts.

There's a lot of factors to this guys. Including pillars heights, stock fitment, COAL on your rounds, etc. If you're having issues we're happy to help.

If you're running a belted magnum we have a new magnum magazine that feeds belts better, but you will always feel the belt coming through the magazine feed lips.

Personally I have been hunting with these for 4 years now and we sell a lot of these for SA/MED/LA and the amount of issues is minuscule compared to the volume. Most of the time, someone has a pillar height issue.

I would not be worried Mark.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Nick D.

You guys are making me nervous. I'm picking up a rifle on Friday that was built with the Hunter DBM. GS states it feeds smoothly. It's not a belted cartridge, but still another thing I worry about.
Dont worry about it. It will be fine... There have 6 out 6 that needed scotch brite that I'm aware of 3 being mine bought at different times.
I don't like for my mags to have a "break in" time while scratching deep scratches to Adg brass. Just work the pad on it and it will be fine. They are nice products still but will most likely go back to their m5 bdl or sunnyhill.

I'm sorry, but some of these scratched the h ell out brass not just light stuff.
Just run your cartridge through it and then clean up the lips if needed and your gtg. This has absolutely 0% to do with the action as others have suspected. I am using "ONLY" (LOL) high end top of the line actions like others have stated below and the same smith coincidently which has no bearing on the magazine feeding "gritty".

* Then for the guys using the Long action mag wanting to convert to a saum/6.5prc mag "spacer kit" and not sure whether its needed?
Short answer is its not.
They will feed fine in Long mag but, the rounds will need to be stacked against back wall is all. If money is tight? It's not a must have but does help to space round towards the front of mag.

For all the ones that have had issues... it probably would have been best for supplier to just say that they will send out a new one with a return postage for the potential bad one back. Oh well.

Last edited:
I for one am sorry I used the Hunter DBM!!! All my custom rifles have been "BDL" style with floor plates from different manufacturers over the years. Once I seen the flush fit with the Hawkins, I thought this was going to be the ****.... well its the **** all right....***!!

Hawkins has tried to help, but my DBM system is still not very smooth....even after all the tips that were given on here!! My gunsmith used exact pillar specs given by Hawkins when he built the rifle....he stated with other brands of DBM's he can specifically tune the feed lips to each specific action....with the Hawkins you cannot.

My rifle feeds cartridges...thats not the problem.....the problem is how smooth the cartridges feed.....NOT TOO SMOOTH!!

My only option now is to try the Hawkins M5 Oberdorf "BDL" floorplate with mag box, spring, and follower.

Lesson learned = if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Not sure what's going on here, but there's some kind of disconnect taking place.

I have used virtually every magazine and floor plate system known to man at one point or another, and Hawkins Hunter DBM's are the most outstanding mags and DBM's I've used on hunting rifles to date. They are now standard equipment on ALL of our hunting rifles. It's not even optional.

Aesthetics, fit, function, and reliability. All outstanding. I've had two separate smiths build quite a few rifles on them for us since the Hunter DBM launched. However, I should note that I've ONLY used them with top end fully integral actions, such as the Lone Peak Fuzion, and Impact 737. The feedback from our customers that get these rifles have been gushing praise, and a couple of them have specifically singled out how awesome the Hunter DBM and flush mags are. The totality of the equipment used in the rest of the build, as well as the person doing the building... matters.

I see top end equipment get trashed by substandard smiths all the time. Of course the claim is always that everyone knows what they are doing... but I'm left to ask, why does Primal Rights customers never show up reporting these problems with the same equipment list?

This isn't the customers fault. It's the smith's fault. No rifle should leave the shop if it's not feeding flawlessly. If it happens, because no one is perfect, then that smith should bury his face in that rifle until the problem is resolved. Period. A customer being forced to work this all out by himself is an atrocity.

Hawkins precision didn't build the rifle, so when there are so many of us having such positive experiences with their mags and other products... I don't think it's right that this issue be laid at their feet, given the fact that they are here and in public trying their best to help out. Send that rifle to me. I'll see what's what. I'd bet dollars to pesos there's something else wrong with the rifle. There's a reason I don't run surgeon 591's anymore. Still have my older ones, and still like them... but the newer ones I've tried to build on just didn't work out like the good old days. There's also a strong possibility the surgeon needs to be modified for best fitment with modern mag systems. (not just hawkins) If it's the mags at fault, I'll call Andy or Nick myself and get you squared away.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This is a very old Surgeon 1086 action built in Oklahoma by Preston P.......its smooth as glass and has run many many rounds through it!!

This is a very old Surgeon 1086 action built in Oklahoma by Preston P.......its smooth as glass and has run many many rounds through it!!
Now this is all even weirder. lol It would be easier if it was a worse action and an incompetent smith. ;)

Can you post some pics, up close and personal? Mag in, empty, through the ejection port. Mag in, loaded, as well please? Video would be even better.

Have you loaded up a mag and left it full for a while to see if the spring will relax a bit?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I for one am sorry I used the Hunter DBM!!! All my custom rifles have been "BDL" style with floor plates from different manufacturers over the years. Once I seen the flush fit with the Hawkins, I thought this was going to be the ****.... well its the **** all right....***!!

Hawkins has tried to help, but my DBM system is still not very smooth....even after all the tips that were given on here!! My gunsmith used exact pillar specs given by Hawkins when he built the rifle....he stated with other brands of DBM's he can specifically tune the feed lips to each specific action....with the Hawkins you cannot.

My rifle feeds cartridges...thats not the problem.....the problem is how smooth the cartridges feed.....NOT TOO SMOOTH!!

My only option now is to try the Hawkins M5 Oberdorf "BDL" floorplate with mag box, spring, and follower.

Lesson learned = if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!
Dont worry about it. It will be fine... There have 6 out 6 that needed scotch brite that I'm aware of 3 being mine bought at different times.
I don't like for my mags to have a "break in" time while scratching deep scratches to Adg brass. Just work the pad on it and it will be fine. They are nice products still but will most likely go back to their m5 bdl or sunnyhill.

I'm sorry but some of these scratched the h e ll out brass not just light stuff. 3 cycles of round provided heavy scratches/grooves until I took off the edge is all. Just run your cartridge through it and then clean up the lips if needed and your gtg.

* Then for the guys using then Long action mag wanting to convert to a saum/6.5prc mag "spacer kit" and not sure whether its needed? Its not. They will feed fine in Long mag but the rounds will need to be stacked against back wall is all. If money is tight, it's not a must have but does help to space round towards the front of mag.

Toader - Not sure what the issue is. I'd need your gun here in front of me to figure it out at this point. I'd send it into your gunsmith. In general cerakoted actions are not as smooth as nitrided. Sometimes folks have preferences that are trying to accommodate. We know Preston. Have him reach out if you're not satisfied.

We are wondering if you bolt is dragging on the feed lips as well after re-reading it.

300PRC - I wasn't so much saying ours need to be run in, but I have had multiple other mags need run in.

Last edited:
To Clarify.....Preston did not build the rifle...just the action. This action is older and was machined in Oklahoma before Surgeon was sold and moved to Arizona.

The action is slick as snot...always has been. I just wish feeding out of the Hawkins Hunter DBM was more smooth and slick.

Thanks to all who have posted & helped with my issue...its appreciated!!