Hawkins Precision Hunter DBM issue??

toader

Had a new rifle to the range yesterday...custom built 300PRC. I used the Hawkins Precision Hunter DBM on this build and I am having some issues.

The bolt on this rifle is super slick with no ammo in the DBM, but when I load the DBM and feed the cartridge, its rough and gritty. Now this rifle is new with everything ceracoated...not sure if there is a feeding issue or it just needs "worn in" to feed slick like glass..??

Any thoughts/info will be greatly appreciated!!

Had a new rifle to the range yesterday...custom built 300PRC. I used the Hawkins Precision Hunter DBM on this build and I am having some issues.

The bolt on this rifle is super slick with no ammo in the DBM, but when I load the DBM and feed the cartridge, its rough and gritty. Now this rifle is new with everything ceracoated...not sure if there is a feeding issue or it just needs "worn in" to feed slick like glass..??

Any thoughts/info will be greatly appreciated!!
Check and make the mag is not binding , you may have too shim it down , it may be too deep into the stock.

I had some issues with all of mine. Take scotch brite pad and work the underside of the feed lips They are not smooth. They send them pi's poor in my opinion. It would trash my brass from digging in when chambering a round. Also take a nice piece of packing tape and put one to two layers on front side slightly wrapping around the radius and that rattling will go away. Not sure if the feed lips are the issue or not?

Last edited:
If you can take the magazine apart try removing the follower and spring. Then try just the mag body in the gun to see if it's still gritty. This will tell you if you should closer at the mag body or the follower.

If you can take the magazine apart try removing the follower and spring. Then try just the mag body in the gun to see if it's still gritty. This will tell you if you should closer at the mag body or the follower.
The only time its gritty is with the DBM loaded with ammo....how would I do that without spring follower??

Did the brass get deep scratches from feeding?
Its most likely nothing to do with follower and spring. The follower is delrin or similar and doesn't produce a gritty feel?

Last edited:
Did the brass get deep scratches from feeding?
It most like nothing to do with follower and spring. The follower is delrin or similar and doesn't produce a gritty feel.
Yeah....I think its the issue you had....brass being held up by the feed lips of the DBM

I think the point of the shimming post was, there may be plenty of clearance on an empty mag, but with the mag loaded the rounds may be bottoming out and you are feeling the two cases rubbing one another as it feeds.

Does it feel exactly the same with 1, 2 or 3 rounds loaded?

If so, I think the above poster is correct about the underside of the magazine lips being rough.

I think the point of the shimming post was, there may be plenty of clearance on an empty mag, but with the mag loaded the rounds may be bottoming out and you are feeling the two cases rubbing one another as it feeds.

Does it feel exactly the same with 1, 2 or 3 rounds loaded?

If so, I think the above poster is correct about the underside of the magazine lips being rough.
Agree with everything you said.....I also think the follower spring is very strong and is pushing the rounds up to feed lips pretty hard. I have my DBM's sitting loaded with empty cases to soften the spring tension.

I just ran out & bought some buffing sticks and scotch bright pads to polish up the feed lips....we'll see what happens...??

Truly appreciate everyone's input...thank you!!

IMG_7768.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg

Tape dampens rattling and firms it up. just my preference. I think i'll go back to one piece.
Smooth out the feed ramps in this area along the whole lip. They were so sharp it would trash my brass with deep scratches and make it rough/gritty. Smooth it out and it should be good i'll bet. If not i'll stay out of it.

Oh, and when Hawkins sees this. Put a damnn allen wrench in the "spacer kit" packaging. When people pay these prices and you have to go out and search all over town for a 1mm allen it can be a real pita. Most every allen set I found stops at 1.5mm. I found a kit for $17 that had the 1mm i think was the size.
Hawkins, please use less lock tight or use purple strength on that little allen. It bent the ---- out of it.
They have a how to install video and leave out the size and removal of the allen screws for a reason.
Maybe heat it up with a hair dryer first?

Last edited: