Have action need cartridge

dustbag

Recently took ownership on my first couple suppressors. Now I need (want) shorter barreled rifles (I knew this road would be traveled). I am already putting together a 20" 7mm. However, I have an extra action so I am looking at 30 or 338 caliber.
I have an Impact Precision 777 long action mag bolt face. I would prefer to use a 20" barrel and the Hawkins hunter dbm set up but bdl would be fine too. I don't want to cut on the action or single feed.
Rifle would be used for hunting and some steel. 1000 yards and in. Preferably huntable to 700 yards.
I was thinking WSM, 30 Nosler, PRC. The 3.77 limit in mag length sucks for 338.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dustin

I think the nmi is pretty good for short barreled magnums, but you already have the action, a rum would be similar to a nosler but heavier bullets might warrant a box length up to 4" like the wyatts single stack long box and you don't want that either-- a long action 300wsm chambered for heavies might work well for your application ( and use less powder than some bigger cases) since you are maxing out at 1000 for steel and 700 hunting if you can maintain enough velocity from a 20" barrel

I saw some guys getting 2650 speeds with the 215 berger from 20" 300wsm barrels-- at my hunting altitudes that gets almost 1800fps @1000 yards still so its doable

Just make sure your suppressor is rated for the 20" magnum cartridge that you choose

300 or 338 Mega are hi performance, more efficient rounds at that length and also loose less velocity in shorter barrels than higher capacity magnums.

How would they compare in regards to suppressor. Thunderbeast said Ultra 7 could handle 20" 30 Nosler. I see their website says 22" for RUM.
Thanks
Dustin

330 Dakota or 33 Nosler on a 3.6 COAL action is a very capable setup. Not too many online discussions of this, but I'm giving it a go on my next build.

The Norma Mag. uses the Lapua bolt face not the standard magnum bolt face.

For the .30 caliber you can look at the .300 PRC cartridge.

😊
Yes, I understand that so, if the OP wants a .338 with more OOMPH is a short barrel he would have to change the bolt face to LM or open it up.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like OOMPH is a point of request. Besides, he doesn't want to cut on the action.

;)
Perhaps but the OP said any input would be appreciated. I was simply offering that the 3.7" in .338 is not a limitation, unlike LM or the EDGE that requires a 4.0" COAL. If he does not want it that's fine, but often peeps do not know what is available for them, or options to take full advantage of what they have.
The 3.77 limit in mag length sucks for 338.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dustin

Last edited:
300 prc is easy button. I was in your shoes 2 years ago built out both short and long actions with short barrels for my newly acquired suppressors. The 300 prc shoots factory 225 eldm's in a little group with single digit es. I'm never that lucky so it must be something special with the prc chambering 😉. Guess I'm building a creedmoor next so I can complete the Hornady fan boy trilogy.