Has anyone experienced burn out due to shift work and night shift?

Flight635

3 years ago I switched into a rotating day/night shift schedule for a increase in pay.

The days are long. I leave the house at 5 am and get home at 7 pm. I only do nights once a month but it is for a 7 night stretch.

Over the last few years I have started to notice that I don't get as excited for my hobbies or hunting trips. For example packing for a long trip seems like a daunting challenge now and the effort involved is overwhelming. I remember years ago I packed weeks in advance just on pure excitement for the trip.

So I am wondering if this could be possible burn out from the job or just getting older and not enjoying the same things in life?

I have never been a quitter and always ran with mindset of "never quit" "tough it out other people work the same shift"

Also has anyone took a reduction in pay for a better work to life balance and regretted it?

So I am wondering if this could be possible burn out from the job or just getting older and not enjoying the same things in life?
Yes!
Also has anyone took a reduction in pay for a better work to life balance and regretted it?
No! I spent my first 10 years in the USAF in aircraft generation squadrons. I worked 10-12 hours daily, night, split shifts, and weekend duties without additional pay. I loved my job, but morale was low. I always go to work with the best attitude but do not always turn well at the end of my duty day. I could not change it, but I could change mine. I re-trained in another career field for the same pay—one regular shift and no weekend duties. I retired in 2007 and went to civil service doing the same thing but with more pay. My shift is 0630-1630, with every other Friday off. I can retire now, but my target is 20 years in civil service (2027). In short, I am working on my 2nd retirement. Good luck!

Have you tried asking someone you work with to switch shifts with you sometime? Someone might be willing to switch occasionally.

Otherwise, you can try going somewhere else for an earlier shift. Unfortunately, someone has to close and that's just the way it is. Personally, I found rotating more exhausting than just having a closing shift but your experience may be different.

I ran into the same exact thing, but I only lasted two years. Switched positions in the same office, $3/hr less pay, better days off/working hours, 1/4 the daily stress. I would do it 10 times over.

I get even more excited for trips/hunting. Plan and do things outside of work more often.

My mindset changed when I wasn't excited and missed the first opening day of duck season in my entire life. I noticed it, told the boss I wasn't happy and of the open position, or I would be seeking other employment. He said he didn't want to lose me and had me moved over in two days. 5 years later and I wouldn't go back, and I've moved up in my current department and making more than I would have been in my other spot (if I didn't promote).

Life is too short. IMO, if it's not a spot that will make you retire 20 years early, it's not worth the time/mental health put in.

It's OK to do it for a while and try and get ahead, but not for a long period of time. The older you get your priorities will change along with your perspective of life. I believe life is telling us it's time time to back off and enjoy what's more important since TIME is so limited. So, listen to your own heart and mind and do what is right for you.

My most valuable asset is my free time.

My wife and I just turned down a job in our dream location because they expect way more of your time than our current location.

I want work to be where I can rest from all the things I do in my free time.

It used to be from hunting/ fishing.... currently it is resting from taking care of kids and preggo wife.

The golden years don't exist.

Do everything you can WHILE you can.

Too many people work to retire and never get to enjoy retirement.

Take care of your health/ mental state.

One last thing.... you have to plan your time off.... or else you end up getting done with work and then trying to decide what to do and you end up doing little to nothing.

Be organized. So everything is ready to go. Also focus on the most important hobbies. You can't do EVERYTHING.

Alternating shift work can definitely affect your health. Do a Google search and I'm sure there will be plenty of info.

I've worked alternating shifts which changed every week. It is very hard to get use to them even when you're young. As you age, it becomes intolerable.

I worked on a special surveillance operation for 6 months. My unit worked (mostly) 8pm-4am. Occasionally, I'd be assigned to the 4am-12pm shift. Of all the tours and shifts that I've worked, there is nothing more disruptive of a normal life than getting on or off work at 4am. I was very happy to return to more traditional rotating shifts.

Last edited:
Alternating shift work can definitely affect your health. Do a Google search and I'm sure there will be plenty of info.

I've worked alternating shifts which changed every week. It is very hard to get use to even when you're young. As you age, it becomes intolerable.

I worked on a special surveillance operation for 6 months. My unit worked (mostly) 8pm-4am. Occasionally, I'd be assigned to the 4am-8am shift. Of all the tours and shifts that I've worked, there is nothing more disruptive of a normal life than getting on or off work at 4am. I was very happy to return to more traditional rotating shifts.
No human should be awake between 2am and 5am..... the brain and body do not like it.

Sounds like you're suffering from deep exhaustion.
Shifting from day to night shifts totally fubars your internal clock, and doing that for a week each month makes it many times worse.
I'll bet your body doesn't know which way is up.
The equivalent for those who travel a lot is upon awaking, not knowing where you are. It's terrifying when you first experience it, makes you think you're having memory problems.
When it started happening when I was home, I knew I had to find a new job.
I have never gone for lower pay, but have jumped for a workplace with more sanity.
One last thing.... you have to plan your time off.... or else you end up getting done with work and then trying to decide what to do and you end up doing little to nothing.
Wise words.

3 years ago I switched into a rotating day/night shift schedule for a increase in pay.

The days are long. I leave the house at 5 am and get home at 7 pm. I only do nights once a month but it is for a 7 night stretch.

Over the last few years I have started to notice that I don't get as excited for my hobbies or hunting trips. For example packing for a long trip seems like a daunting challenge now and the effort involved is overwhelming. I remember years ago I packed weeks in advance just on pure excitement for the trip.

I have never been a quitter and always ran with mindset of "never quit" "tough it out other people work the same shift"

I worked a 7 on 7 off shift for 28 years. I don't do nights very good, but it was worth it because a whole lot less BS to deal with at night.

I was 88 mile each way to/from work…..day shift was up at 04:00 hrs back home at 20:00 hrs. Whether nights or days…..you were ready for the 7 off.

The 7 days off, even though a bit tired in later years, was worth it. Like a mini-vacation every other week!

Just to give you sump'n to look forward too……as you get older - it don't get easier! But….. hell ya it was worth it! memtb

I worked 12 hr tours for many years. Add in commuting time and you just have enough time to sleep between tours. It's great when you get 3.5 days off per week, without using accruals, but you sure pay the price on the other end. I eventually took an administrative position. I worked 9-5 just like Dolly Pardon. I was a healthier and happier man because of it.

Now I'm retired and spend half of my time with my 3 grandsons and the other half split between my shooting club and my reloading bench. Like the "old folks" use to say, "if you've got your health, you've got everything."

I visited a life extension doctor a few times. He always said, "you only have one shot at protecting your health. Don't, F it up". He was right, you know. Get off crazy tours!

I worked 12 hr tours for many years. Add in commuting time and you just have enough time to sleep between tours. It's great when you get 3.5 days off per week, without using accruals, but you sure pay the price on the other end. I eventually took an administrative position. I worked 9-5 just like Dolly Pardon. I was a healthier and happier man because of it.

Now I'm retired and spend half of my time with my 3 grandsons and the other half split between my shooting club and my reloading bench. Like the "old folks" use to say, "if you've got your health, you've got everything."

I visited a life extension doctor a few times. He always said, "you only have one shot at protecting your health. Don't, F it up". He was right, you know. Get off crazy tours!
So so true. Sounds like my life experience and where I am at now. When we are young and full of life we take good health for granted, but get up into those GOLDEN years and your perspective changes…significantly.