Hanging Steel Targets

Wag482

What material have you had the most success with hanging steel targets? I've been using small rolls of "anti fatigue" rubber mat cut into strips and 1/2" rebar to make the stand.

I don't anticipate the rubber that I'm using lasting very long. Looking for ideas on what else to use.

What material have you had the most success with hanging steel targets? I've been using small rolls of "anti fatigue" rubber mat cut into strips and 1/2" rebar to make the stand.

I don't anticipate the rubber that I'm using lasting very long. Looking for ideas on what else to use.
Strips of tire tread, not the sidewall !

Old conveyor belt material, but its getting harder to locate now. Otherwise, I've used chains attached with bolts, head front chain and nut/washer back, or for spinners/rockers, a welded piece of length of rebar with different sizes of targets on each end. I.e 10" bottom and 6/8" top. Similar for silhouettes, ram on bottom with turkey on top or pig on bottom with chicken on top. If damaged, rebar is rather easy to repair.

Old conveyor belt material, but its getting harder to locate now. Otherwise, I've used chains attached with bolts, head front chain and nut/washer back, or for spinners/rockers, a welded piece of length of rebar with different sizes of targets on each end. I.e 10" bottom and 6/8" top. Similar for silhouettes, ram on bottom with turkey on top or pig on bottom with chicken on top. If damaged, rebar is rather easy to repair.
Hay balers belt works also. If you know a few farmers changing their belts out. It can last quite a while. Most are not really thick but easy enough to double up.

2 horseshoes welded on the back so they don't get hit. Weld a little low on target. Hangs at a little angle so bullet will hit the ground right below target. Have 15 plus targets 5 years old never replaced one

For really large plates, we have T posts and chain. For smaller plates, JC Steel has some awesome hangers that just sit on the T post. If your steel has the correct cut hole, they are extremely simple to use.

I bought this 2 inch conveyor belt for our 500 yard plate rack - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GN7JRPZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lasted about 6 months on the small plate that everyone seems to miss and hit the belt instead. Still holding up on the bigger plates.

Lot easier to work with than chain (for me).
Bullets hitting the top edge of any target will shred belting, of all kinds relatively quickly. Jackets coming apart do far more damage than bullet holes.

Anybody ever slid heavy wall pipe over the hanging chains?
It's an idea I shared with a friend, we haven't tried it yet.
Our chains are 1/4-5/16"
Grade 8-9 bolt heads will take impacts better than Gr5, and carriage head bolts are SOFT, FYI

Anybody ever slid heavy wall pipe over the hanging chains?
It's an idea I shared with a friend, we haven't tried it yet.
No soft steel will offer added protection. Even heavier angle iron will let bullets through, angle means squat.
I have close to a dozen rigid mount IPSC's, with 1 1/4" heavy tubing stands, even at 2000 yards, there are holes in the tubing.