Handgun Powder/Bullet Choices?

I am looking for suggestions on powder and bullet choices for 9mm, 10mm, 45 Auto. Not hunting loads, so much, but just general accuracy loads.

I loaded 240 gr JHP for .44 Mag forever ago but havent got any notes. Seems like Win 296 was the powder I used. Is that still a good choice? Are there better ones these days?

Thanks in advance!

That's still a good choice! If ya can't find it H-110 is it's virtual twin!
I recently picked up 8 pounds of H-110 when I couldn't get any 296!

Stop by……we can "try it before ya buy it"! 😉

If you're thinking about cast bullets…..we can talk about that also! With "light load" cast bullets……pretty hard to beat Unique! If you're gonna go cast for heavy loads……consider something in the 300 grain range.

Also a note about Lil Gun. It is supposed to produce some of the highest velocities…..but kinda developed a bad reputation for burning hot and "flame cutting" the top straps on revolvers. I had briefly considered it for my 460, but stayed away because of the high flame temperatures. memtb

Last edited:
I am looking for suggestions on powder and bullet choices for 9mm, 10mm, 45 Auto. Not hunting loads, so much, but just general accuracy loads.

I loaded 240 gr JHP for .44 Mag forever ago but havent got any notes. Seems like Win 296 was the powder I used. Is that still a good choice? Are there better ones these days?

Thanks in advance!
9mm—- Tite-group

As it should be clear from others there are a ton of options out there. If it is a priority to do as many as possible with one or two powders you will have limitations like maybe 44 Mag not to max velocities or it might be very dirty in some guns. If I was you I'd look for 3-4 different powders. I have only used 296 for 44 Mag for years, from factory level loads to super thumpers in big Rugers with > 300 gr bullets. Perfect for that gun but not for any of the others. I do not currently reload 10mm. For 9mm and 45 ACP I mostly load what you would consider general range ammo. 9mm bullets wither 115 or 124, some jacketed, some plated, some poly. 45 ACP 185/200/230 lead/jacketed/poly. Titegroup for 9mm and Bulllseye for 45 ACP but I have used many others including 231. Hope this helps.

I use Winchester Super Field, (WSF), for 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP. Works great for me. I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively. I only factory jacketed bullets for self defense. Our state considers hand loads premeditated assault if they are used in a shooting irregardless if used for self defense. W 296 is a good powder for magnum hand gun pistol loads. Do not use it for reduced loads.
What state?

If you want one powder that will work in all of those calibers then WW231 is a good choice. I use 231 for practice loads in .380, 9mm, 10mm, .38 Spcl, .357 Mag, 45 Auto and .44 Mag, plus a few others I load for friends. You won't get top velocities with 231 but it's much cleaner that Bullseye or Unique and loads are usually fairly economical.
For max velocities, the magnums can use H110/WW296 (now the same powder according to Hodgdon, yet several manuals continue to list them separately, with different maximum charges. Beats me!), Accurate #9 (very good in 10mm), or the older standbys, IMR 4227 or 2400. With top velocities these all produce huge muzzle flash, although the 4227 does tend to be a bit on the orange side instead of the brite white "flashbulb" of the others, including AA#9, which is supposed to be a reduced flash powder (as opposed to the flash suppressed powders used by most of the makers of self defense ammo - and which is not available to us peon reloaders!). There are several other newer (relatively speaking!) powders that work pretty well, including CFE Pistol, BE-86 and several others.

If youre just starting out, you will need several loading manuals! Lyman is pretty good, but never use loads from just one manual. Read carefully the components used by the test people, including firearm and barrel length. These items are usually the reason there can be some pretty wide variances in muzzle velocity from one book to another!
Cheers,
crkckr