Hammer Hunter Vs. Sledge hammers? (350 yard max)

On track with the OP. Given what has come up in this thread it gives merit to the choice of the Sledge Hammer line of bullets for "normal range hunting". The larger the hollow point the less likely the bullet is to have unusual behavior on impact. In our R and D we had determined that the 1.5mm hollow point that we have on the Hammer Hunter line was the smallest that we could go and still expect reliable bullet performance on game. Until this report of the `124g Hammer Hunter on elk we had never heard nor seen bullet performance that was less than we expected. Another thing that should be taken from this is twist rate for hunting bullets. The twist that was used on the elk with the 124g Hammer Hunters was measured at 8". As it should have been. That puts these bullets at our min recommended twist. After the last couple of years of killing (a lot) of big game animals and testing in media, I set my hunting rifles up with bullets that are as close to 2.0 sg as I can get. The higher the rpm's on the bullet the longer it penetrates nose forward in a straight line. If a bullet is still penetrating but no longer spinning it will deviate from it's original path and become unpredictable. We will be doing some testing to see if we can duplicate these events. I am fairly certain that the nose petals on these bullets did not shear off as quickly as we expect them to. It is an anomaly that I am chalking up to variance in metallurgy within the lot of copper. It happens in all metals.

Cudos to @SnakeRiverEric for staying on the gun and finishing the job. It is not how we as hunters want things to go down but sometimes have to do in order to finish the job the best we can at the time. Well done sir. Also thank you for helping me answer questions yesterday, I appreciate your help.
Thanks for the info. We are going with a 1:8 twist 6.5cm. Sounds like the 117gr sledgehammers or maybe even the 110 hammer hunters may be the ticket (I wonder if 110 is starting to be too light). Do you think the 117sledgehammers will be stable enough on deer out of the 1:8 twist barrel?

Thanks for the info. We are going with a 1:8 twist 6.5cm. Sounds like the 117gr sledgehammers or maybe even the 110 hammer hunters may be the ticket (I wonder if 110 is starting to be too light). Do you think the 117sledgehammers will be stable enough on deer out of the 1:8 twist barrel?
Absolutely. The 110g Hammer Hunter wss really designed with the creed in mind. Great vel to eight ratio. I still love the sexy bullets! The 117g Sledge Hammer will straight up get it done out to 400 plus yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.