Hammer HHT tip installation

The multiple bands lower BC value. Thus fewer, less abrupt bands might cause less drag in flight.

Drilled a hole in a 2x4 for boat tail to fit in. Then used a small brass mallet to insert mine. Just started working up load for132 tipped hammer. 7-08 using Acc. 2495 to get 3111 FPS. One MOA. I'm going to try different seating depth. I can do better. Looking at STaBall match it Acc powder doesn't work out.

Yes, but I put the boat tail in the hole to hold it upright. Then tap with small brass hammer on the copper tip holder. By the way you guys owe me five tips. Bag only had 45 in it. I'll be buying more so send extra next time.

I just use my arbor press

IMG_2167.jpeg

Drilled a hole in a 2x4 for boat tail to fit in. Then used a small brass mallet to insert mine. Just started working up load for132 tipped hammer. 7-08 using Acc. 2495 to get 3111 FPS. One MOA. I'm going to try different seating depth. I can do better. Looking at STaBall match it Acc powder doesn't work out.
I'm loading 132 708 also. Needing to run Varget, AA2520 and slower, as IMR3031 and TAC too fast.

Don't you do that with a lathe???

Or you do the old school way and use an Uncle Henry....

Don't be basic 🤣

The best way to sharpen a pencil is to mount it in a cordless drill and set it to the lowest speed possible, just crawling slow. Season it with various savoury herbs and spices. Place it over a termite mound at a slight angle, so the tip is pointing downward a little.

You have now created a rotisserie style feast for the happy little termites to eat, as it slowly spins they will munch away at the wood, moreso from the tip as it's closer to them, remember the angle….this will create the perfect "naturally optimized" tip for your previously blunt pencil.

But they don't eat graphite or lead. I asked.

So once the wood is properly sharpened in this, the only correct way, you'll want to use a progression of ever finer grit waterstones to get that perfect "scary sharp" tip. Unfortunately this will result in moisture ruining the pencil if not mitigated, so it is absolutely critical that as soon as your done with the stones you steal your wife's hair dryer and fully dry the pencil before spraying the thing with lacquer or some kind of water proof resin. Don't overdo the coating however as it can introduce a degree of tacky, sticky, gumminess to the pencil lead that may provide a less pleasurable and effective overall writing experience (assuming you actually plan to write with the thing and not have it as a showpiece or conversation starter. If this is one of those "safe Queen" number 2 B type of pencils, spray away!!!!

Finishing touches involve checking the tip for imbalance using a concentricity gauge before using a nice leather strop to get that shiny mirror finish on your scary sharp pencil. You should see your reflection in it. If writing in the noonday sun you shouldn't be able to look at the **** thing, it'll be so blindingly radiant with all the reflected glory of the life giving star we orbit.

@Gingerman, this whole train of thought is entirely your fault. You brought up the pencil! 🤣

Some of the tips are a little out of shape so they may looked damaged. If you damage a tip with a rubber mallet, you are hitting the the bottom of the bullet way too hard. It doesn't take a lot of muscle to get the tip seated.

Got 3042 using STaBall match. No pressure signs. Going to up powder charge and extend the jump. See how that shoots. Thought about using Power Pro Varmint. My yet.
I was getting 2850 with ejector smears, popped primer, and home-made-sin looking brass. 18" AR10. It runs 120 HH like a champ though at 2950