H50BMG Uses

I acquired some H50BMG because the price was far too low to pass up on. The problem is, I don't have a 50. Are there any other good uses for this powder? Is it too slow to use for a 300 weatherby?
Get someone to run it in Quickload, if I were near my office computer I would check it out for you. Quickload works great for giving you an idea of what will work for things like this.

I use the 50 BMG in the following: 338 Lapua with heavy bullets, 30-378 180- 190 gr bullets, 338-378 with anything over 225 gr., and lately it has given great results in a 28 Nosler I picked up a year or so ago. In .300 Weatherby, I tend to go with something like 4831, 7828, 7977, RL22, Vihtavouri N165, etc. Even H1000 and Retumbo are too slow for the .300 Weatherby unless you go with bullets over 200 gr., but here you can be "stability" limited by the 1:10" twist of the .300 Weatherby. Hodgdon doesn't list H50 loads for the .300 Weatherby. Yes, you could make some squib loads, but what's the point? You're using primers (which are like hens' teeth lately), putting some wear on your expensive brass, getting low velocity and burning up a Weatherby barrel with that slow burning powder. For what purpose? If you want .30 cal squib loads, you can go with 30-06 or .308 110 gr carbine or 125 gr pointed bullets, and light loads with Unique or 2400 for 2000 fps, or H4895 for fast loads, and have a much better optimized system. Just my 2 cents.

It works exceptionally well in a 26 Nosler with 156 Bergers.
The same is true with .264 WM.
.264 WM 156 Berger.jpg

Sounds like I'm gonna need one of those fast 7mms
So, the only thing I recommend that you dont do is sell/trade this powder before you experience it in what ever caliber/case combination of your choice. There are several big cases with tiny narrow necks, commercial and wildcats that will use this powder to its full potential.
What ever your caliber, .264/6.5mm, .284/7mm, .308/7.62, .338/8.6mm, with heavy for caliber pills and magum primers and your off and running.
Dive in and have a good time, Erik.

I use Win 7i60 behind a 300 gr bullet with excellent results in my .375 H&H.
2 powders give almost the same performance, yet switch for highest velocity. Both are top performers in my 375H&H and 375 Weatherby, those are H4350 & 760. Of all the powders I tried, those 2 always trump the rest. I use 760 behind 260g Accubonds for deer hunting in the 375 Weatherby, it gets right on 3,000fps. Pretty flat shooting.

Cheers.

2 powders give almost the same performance, yet switch for highest velocity. Both are top performers in my 375H&H and 375 Weatherby, those are H4350 & 760. Of all the powders I tried, those 2 always trump the rest. I use 760 behind 260g Accubonds for deer hunting in the 375 Weatherby, it gets right on 3,000fps. Pretty flat shooting.

Cheers.

I loved WW760 in my old H&H, with Hornady 270 grain SP's. I was loading well above the listed max of the day…..using loads from a very old Hornady load sheet.

I decided to change bullets at the last minute before hunting season started, and was doing some fast work. As in….40 rounds in one evening. I was getting excellent 5 shot groups, 4 shots making a nice group but always throwing the 5 th shot. I would allow the barrel to cool between the groups, with each group getting better as I increased the powder charge. The final group, as the sun was right on the horizon put 4 shots into a ragged hole (just under 1/2") with the 5 th round opening the group to about an inch……I was bummed!

My load was…..WW brass, Hornady 270 SP, primers - CCI 250's, 82.0 grains of WW 760. memtb

How many people drive their current vehicles to their top potentials? I dare say 99% of people own vehicles they have never driven over 100mph let alone 120 -150mph or the 150-180+ some of the sports cars or motorcycles can do.

Ever worked daily in DC living in a far away suburb with these lunatics? Toyota should hire me cause I know the absolute limits of the camry.... if you put your hazards on anywhere near that gem you can do anything you want... kidding aside agreed, sometimes it's just cause.

Sure, if that's your personality. Lot of guys just want (and buy) a 50 cal. I have several friends who have.

Is it practical? Nope. Do they often use it to it's potential? Nope. Do they often use it, period? Nope. Do they love having a big 50? Yep. And that's all the reason they need!
Good enough reason to buy mine....and I have at least 30...nope more,...guns that don't get used often or to their potential also.....just like guns...!!