New vs Used

Djaws

Curious on everyone's opinion on buying a New Rifle vs one from the classifieds?

How much savings $$$ is worth the risk of buying a used gun w/o knowing how it was handled?

Beyond saving $$$, are there any other benefits of buying used?

If buying a used gun, are there specific questions you should ask to make sure you are getting an accurate shooting gun?

Sometimes it's a gamble either way.
I bought New and couldn't get most factory ammo to chamber.
Used I've bought them with barrels burn up and one was so filled with carbon and copper, it took a couple days to clean, used over 100 patches destroyed 2 bronze and 2 nylon brushes.
I wish you the best. 😯

Besides looking at the members trader feedback I would definitely recommend actually calling them and talking. You can usually get a better feel for the person by talking to them.
One benefit of buying used is the person has probably already done load development and will save you components cost along with barrel wear.
I would ask about round count.

If I'm buying a used rifle it will always be something that I wouldn't have a problem turning into a project. Barrel swaps, trigger, stock work, whatever. I would always have the mindset of needing to fix it or turn it into something else.

I've bought and sold used guns. Some of the ones that I've sold on consignment at local gun stores I've included a target with, that seemed to really help move the gun much faster than the ones that I didn't include a target with.

You can get new off the shelf rifles that won't shoot either. Typically you have the rifle maker at your disposal if that happens though. I have quite a few used rifles that shoot just fine, I think it can be worth the gamble so long as you know what you're getting yourself into.

Besides looking at the members trader feedback I would definitely recommend actually calling them and talking. You can usually get a better feel for the person by talking to them.
One benefit of buying used is the person has probably already done load development and will save you components cost along with barrel wear.
I would ask about round count.
Great suggestion talking to them via phone. Good point on the load development. Thanks!

If I'm buying a used rifle it will always be something that I wouldn't have a problem turning into a project. Barrel swaps, trigger, stock work, whatever. I would always have the mindset of needing to fix it or turn it into something else.

I've bought and sold used guns. Some of the ones that I've sold on consignment at local gun stores I've included a target with, that seemed to really help move the gun much faster than the ones that I didn't include a target with.

You can get new off the shelf rifles that won't shoot either. Typically you have the rifle maker at your disposal if that happens though. I have quite a few used rifles that shoot just fine, I think it can be worth the gamble so long as you know what you're getting yourself into.
Thank you for the insight!

Thank you for the insight!
I should add that I'd typically prefer to see the gun before actually purchasing it. I'm not a huge fan of buying guns out of classifieds. I do have a couple that I bought from a guy off of ArmsList though. They're two of my favorites to shoot and didn't need any work. I think the last rifle I bought off a guy on the internet came with an extra barrel and the intention was to make it a project gun. The last used gun that I've got was bought at a gun store and it shoots well too. I don't think I've had any bad luck with bad shooting rifles.

Last edited:
If you keep an eye on the classifieds and forums in general, you will see which guys take good care of their stuff and just like to turn and burn guns for the fun of testing. I just sold a gun package with 212 shots on it for $4300. I paid $5800 for it just 5 months earlier. I guarantee it was in great condition, with no flaws and shot excellent. That's what you should be looking for in the classifieds. A gun put together with good components that someone just wanted to test a few things with. Trader feedback and prior sales helps a lot. There's a lot of guys on here that I'd trust to buy a used rifle without a doubt.

I'd rather buy a used custom rifle, built with good components, than ANY factory rifle on the market today.