H50BMG Uses

itsthemann

I acquired some H50BMG because the price was far too low to pass up on. The problem is, I don't have a 50. Are there any other good uses for this powder? Is it too slow to use for a 300 weatherby?

I just worked up a load with RL-50 in my 7-300PRC using 180gr Hybrids. Fills the case and good numbers. Don't know why you couldn't find something to work in your Weatherby?

I acquired some H50BMG because the price was far too low to pass up on. The problem is, I don't have a 50. Are there any other good uses for this powder? Is it too slow to use for a 300 weatherby?
To slow for a wby imo. I've played with it some in my 7-300nmi. I don't think you have enough case capacity to get any speed out of your wby with it. I settled on retumbo for my 300wby. One of the pickiest rifles I own.

Last edited:

If nothing else, you could make some plinking loads with "blem" bullets or cast.

I use a powder designed for the 50 BMG in my .375 AI, fill the case, seat a 270 grain cup and core, getting 1800mv, with superb accuracy 5 shot groups at 100 yrds is pretty much a ragged hole! But, do have some residual unburned powder left in the bore!

I haven't tried it with my cast bullets yet……but expect similar results! memtb

As for using it in a 300 Weatherby, that's a bit of a wild card. The 300 Weatherby is a high-performance cartridge that typically requires a fast-burning powder to reach its full potential. H50BMG is definitely on the slow side, so it may not be the best choice. That said, if you're feeling adventurous and willing to experiment, you could try starting with a low charge and working your way up cautiously, monitoring for signs of overpressure. But proceed with caution, and if in doubt, consult a professional reloader or the powder manufacturer for guidance.

Its "best" in overbore cartridges and heavy bullets like a 257Bee, 26 Nosler, 7mmRUM, 7 STW, 300RUM, 30-378, etc, etc, but you can make it work with reduced vels in other cartridges. Over the decades, I've bought a lot of cheap, mil surplus 50BMG powders, and while few cartridges/loads would reach top performance, it did make for a lot of fun and reduced hunting loads. Of course, that's when I wasn't using it in the 50's.

I miss those days of 32# (4x8# jugs) for $100 delivered. I still have about 12# or so in the shop of that mid-late 1990's stuff.

Best to find somebody who owns one first, and ask to shoot it a few times.
Bo has the best idea, find somebody who uses it and trade.
Sure, if that's your personality. Lot of guys just want (and buy) a 50 cal. I have several friends who have.

Is it practical? Nope. Do they often use it to it's potential? Nope. Do they often use it, period? Nope. Do they love having a big 50? Yep. And that's all the reason they need!

Sure, if that's your personality. Lot of guys just want (and buy) a 50 cal. I have several friends who have.

Is it practical? Nope. Do they often use it to it's potential? Nope. Do they often use it, period? Nope. Do they love having a big 50? Yep. And that's all the reason they need!
How many people drive their current vehicles to their top potentials? I dare say 99% of people own vehicles they have never driven over 100mph let alone 120 -150mph or the 150-180+ some of the sports cars or motorcycles can do.

For many years, I owned a 1999 sports car that had 160mph on the speedometer, and I had never driven that car above 80 mph or so on the interstate, but I absolutely loved that car and enjoyed simply owning it. Then many years later, I decided to take it to Utah and open it up on a long, flat straight. Once I learned it absolutely would hit the 160 mark, I quickly back off to a more sane speed. Only to never drive it above 80 or so mph again.

That's how many, not all, 50 cal owners are.

Last edited: