Gunbroker purchase mysteries...

mmw194287

Hi all,

I recently found a Weatherby Mark V for a great price on Gunbroker. It had been rebarrelled in 300 Lapua by the seller with a heavy contour Krieger, and my plan was to rebarrel it or send it out to be rebored/rechambered in .338 Lapua.

When I pulled the barreled action off of the stock, I found two threaded holes partially drilled through the barrel in about the 7 or 8 o'clock position (they weren't visible with the stock on). They're about a quarter of an inch deep. Just based on the spacing, I'm guessing they're from a rear sight? They also don't leave me with the impression that there's much steel left between the holes and chamber.

Also, it is kind of visible in the photo with the rear lug, but it looks like there's a separate ring of metal between the barrel and the action...

Any thoughts on or explanations for these mysteries (at least for me) would be much appreciated. They weren't mentioned by the seller, who gave me the impression the barrel came to this action straight from the factory. This won't be all that relevant once I move forward with rebarrelling (probably won't rebore and rechamber with this barrel), but I'm curious and like to know as much as I can about the past lives of my firearms.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-9435.jpg
    IMG-9435.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 670
  • IMG-9438.jpg
    IMG-9438.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 570
Some kind of pillar bedding of the barrel? Maybe those holes were at the 6 o'clock position previously, and someone made a hail Mary attempt to get some accuracy out of a bad shooting rifle?

I'm just guessing here..

Is there any factory name, caliber, etc marked on the barrel? Most factory barrels have markings on them and they would be oriented so you could rear them with the action in the stock

Every smith that I know, marks the barrel with what cartridge it is-- pretty interesting, I'm not sure what you got--- I'd just rebarrel it to be safe. I'd say that the barrel not only had a rear sight on it bit jas also been set back or rechambered like others have said

Your savings would be minimal anyway trying to "save" that barrel by rechambering.
Never worth the risk to pay a smith to do that kind of work (I won't take them on) on an "unknown" quantity- a barrel of unknown history/accuracy potential- even if you aren't bothered by sight mounting holes where they shouldn't be.

You could spend hundreds for the work- and find out the barrel doesn't shoot (and the last thing I need is a peeved customer even though I've done a perfect job)...

Make the investment in a decent blank and know you'll get a rifle that'll shoot.

Yep, Iron Sight mounting holes, it's either been rechambered or set back
I'm with you BB. He said it had been rechambered to 300 Lapua. My guess is from 30-378 since the bolt needed would be the same. The head spacing would be different thus the barrel would not index the same hence the holes for a rear sight that was on the original chambering. Mystery solved.😁

Remove and Replace that barrel with a fresh ,new, un modified , properly head spaced barrel. You don't need the barrel from the Gunsmithing 101 School. Pick your pet Caliber and Barrel length and taper, and enjoy it , with Confidence. !!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.