Guide gun build in 375 H&H?

1D09824C-9AD3-4AC8-BE95-ADA7BDEE77CC.jpeg
I tossed around the guide gun build for awhile. This is my guide rifle.
RBros controlled round feed action
Proof Reaserch 20 inch 1-9 twist
Manners MCS stock
Trigger tech trigger
Nightforce 3-15 NXS
375 RUM
9.2 lbs loaded with sling
281 grain HAMMER hunters @ 2950fps

660D6A7D-96A7-4F67-9BFD-378983A512E5.jpeg
2366DD55-0D00-424A-99A2-FB46E00D19ED.jpeg
660D6A7D-96A7-4F67-9BFD-378983A512E5.jpeg
View attachment 119336 I tossed around the guide gun build for awhile. This is my guide rifle.
Proof Reaserch 20 inch 1-9 twist
Manners MCS stock
Trigger tech trigger
Nightforce 3-15 NXS
375 RUM
It shoots pretty good!

Last edited:
I tossed around the guide gun build for awhile. This is my guide rifle.
Proof Research 20 inch 1-9 twist
Manners MCS stock
Trigger tech trigger
Nightforce 3-15 NXS
375 RUM

Good selection! The more power, the faster to dead. And the deader the better. They don't fight fair when they're ****ed off.

Even humongous brown bear can be dropped lights out, completely dead upon bullet impact, hit simply thru the ribs with sufficient bullet mass and instantaneous energy release into their vitals. Your weapon increases the likelihood of that desirable effect. But a guy can never count on it. And the more ****ed off the bear, the less likely anything will down them other than a brain or CNS hit, or a fusillade of body hits. ****ed off bears survive longer, IMO. Their physiology thrives off hatred.

+1 for Ruger guide gun in 375 Ruger, 20 inch barrel is super handy in the thick stuff. I am left handed and picked up the laminated stainless one in lefty. Ammo is fairly easy to find, gun is very handy and shoots right at MOA. At $600 won't break the bank either.

+1 for Ruger guide gun in 375 Ruger, 20 inch barrel is super handy in the thick stuff. I am left handed and picked up the laminated stainless one in lefty. Ammo is fairly easy to find, gun is very handy and shoots right at MOA. At $600 won't break the bank either.

Same reason I bought mine, Left Handed too. Only Sako, Browning, Zastava, CZ, Weatherby and Ruger make left hand 375 Boomers. The Ruger is the only one that came in LH Guide Gun configuration, the rest I would of had to alter substantially. Come to think of it, they may be the only RH Guide Gun configuration too.

I go a little differently for firearms/cartridges geared for these two opposite ends of the bear hunting spectrum. I have multiple firearms.

1) Longer range bear hunting. My firearm is a .338 Lapua Rogue wildcat in a bolt action rifle. One load uses a copper monolithic expanding bullet (long range). One load uses Swift A-Frames (short range). It's a little heavy, and a bit barrel long, for lots of packing. Although I have packed it in several miles when brown bear was on the agenda.
2) In-Your-Face situations: Scenarios include camp marauding bears, charging bears i.e. wounded bear follow-up/recovery in the brush (yikes!), or recovering meat from large game animal kill sites - requiring multiple trips back to the kill site. My weapon of choice is a 12 gauge Rem 870, with hand loads of Tungsten buckshot, or Brenneke slugs.

Limited to a single firearm under the stated focus and purpose, the .375 H&H in a compact bolt rifle is a good one-size-fits-all weapon for typical/common bear hunters. RH300UM's gun is a good fit for a guide. Extra horsepower for stopping them sooner, rather than later. 458 Mags are potent stoppers up close. But suffer from lower BC bullets at longer ranges, compared to 338s thru 375s.

We have one member (Alaskan Guide) who went with a .416. He split the .458 - .375 difference.

Last edited:
One if my first real stompers was a Mauser 98 chambered in 45-70 and being a stong action and just starting reloading I stopped on it, ran 520 great Hard cast and 300 gr hollow points with speeds right on the heals of the 458. I honestly have never seen anything flatten an elk like that, the 300's would mushroom the size of a silver dollar, the 520's I shot a bull through the shoulder after the bullet drove through a pine tree, really like the authority the thing had but recoil and trajectory we're a down fall, the 520's would flat eat someone's lunch, had that rifle knock a buddy unconscious once but I really liked it!!

Wish we were closer I've owned that rifle for about 35 years. You're on the right track I think. Brown Precision Kevlar stock, did shoot the bedding out once, repair plus cross bolts, and no more issues.

I went with a 20" barrel, and as straight H&H ammo has always clocked where it's supposed to. It was supposed to be 1-10", but shooting the 395 Hammers they definitely key holed, measured after and 1-11". We got 2250 ish if I remember correctly. 350 grain Barnes Originals at 2450. I'd go with a 1-9" if it was me. I think it's 0.8" at the muzzle fairly straight taper. Douglas Match Grade.

A decent compromise is the Weatherby, as H&H can be used in a pinch, or fire forming, and is more useful in the heavier weights I think. With the heavier bullets available it nudges into .416 territory. The 357 Sledge Hammer would do me nicely.

Interarms Mauser, Winchester style safety, Canjar trigger

I like the Montana, building today I'd go with their PH model, and longer magazine.

I have a 3 leaf express sight on mine, not enough sight radius to be useful even back when I could still see them.

I've got bits of boxes left if you need some bullets to look at let me know, and I can send them your way.

I really like the MCR PH rifle, it feels a little chuncky but that's what let's it hold 5 Lapua class cases down, thinking about trimming it up a little to feel better in the hand but that basic concept only tuned up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.