Groups out of a carbon barrel

I don't agree with the "if it doesn't shoot right off the bat it's trash" idea. If that were the case there would be no need for multiple powders with the same burn rates and all these companies would be out of business. I think some barrels are trash cans. You can literally throw anything in them and they will flat out shoot. Some barrels are finicky and require more effort to find what they like. But I certainly don't subscribe to the idea that if it doesn't shoot right out the gate than it's more economical to spend another $1000-$1200 on a new barrel when the one you have is literally brand new. Might only cost you another $100 in consumables to find a combo it likes. But you do need to use discretion when it comes to deciding to scrap a new barrel for sure.

OP, why don't you shoot a 3 shot group let it cool then shoot another 3 shot group. See if it repeats your desired accuracy? What about 4 or 5 shot groups? What does it do when it starts to warm up past 3-4 shots?

Last edited:
This is a time I would recommend a Led Sled,take the shooter out of the picture.
Maybe a good plan if you carry a led sled while hunting. Otherwise, the results are not the same.

You have the bullet, barrel, gun, rest, shooter, as a system.
Your field capability is your system capability.
So where I use a bipod in the dirt for hunting, I use it just the same for accuracy testing.
And don't I count ragged hole precision as accurate -if not hitting the bullseye with it.

The max distance tested to prove my cold bore accuracy meets my killzone, is my system limit with hunting.

Don't forget to check the basics. Torque on rail/scope mount, rings, action screws etc. This caught me this week. A buddy brought his brand new custom rifle so I could help him with load development. I mounted and trued scope, than started spraying factory ammo around to the tune of 4+ moa. Turns out smith had neglected to torque action screws after bedding (I took for granted that a gunsmith might miss that). 1/2 moa groups after torquing that action down.

I had one action that refused to cooperate. It was bedded in two different stocks with four different barrels and three different gunsmiths. I find a just gave the action to the last gunsmith and told him I was finished with it.

I hear ya. I'm dealing with this right now. I had a good shooter that has gone down hill. I'm starting to think it's now the scope that's gone funky on me. Took me awhile to get to that conclusion though….
I thought about what I posted and realized I didn't add any "help" to the situation so I apologize to the OP. Being 70 years old makes me think a bit differently about having time to work things out…or patience. I ain't buying green bananas anymore. lol.

The first 100 rounds the point of impact will change. I have moved to only doing seeding depth testing with a random load for the first 50 or so rounds. Then I start doing a ladder. It has worked well for me doing it that way. The whole time I'm just focusing on grouping because I know the impact will change. If there's a random flyer, and the shot felt good, then I take it as the barrel has not settled. After 200 rounds, I then set the scope and go!

I do agree though, either it's going to shoot or not. Even though barrels are not cheap, the most expensive part is sending the bullet down range. I have attached a couple pictures. The 10 shoot group is a random load with a new power new barrel, and it's the first 10 shoots. The second picture is trying different powder charges. The third is a picture of a group that felt good but a bullet placement I couldn't understand. It has a question mark by it. I did end up choosing that load for this gun and it shoots amazing.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 15:21:45.203605.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 15:21:45.203605.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-10 09:15:44.874163.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-10 09:15:44.874163.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 38
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 14:16:45.292781.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-17 14:16:45.292781.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
I posted awhile back on load development on a carbon barrel. I was planning on sending the rifle back to the manufacturer tomorrow. So today I took it out one more time before I sent it in Was planning on sending a target with it Well guess what. Shot 3 groups under .75. Here's my issue. If you fire a shot let the barrel cool 5-10 minutes fire another let it cool fire another it's a 1.5-2 in group. If you just send them all 3 back to back it shoots great. It also prints same point of impact on target. Point being I guess my rifle is fine But I'm sure lost on why it won't group on a cooler barrel. Is that common. Have you guys had this happen
I have a Proof Carbon barrel on a 28 Nosler. I've tried different powders, bullets, seating depths, primers, cases, about everything. With a good load it prints the first two touching and the third opens up to about an inch. This is very consistent in my rifle. Bullets are all HBN coated. As the barrel heats in this hot Magnum poi shifts around. Ok to hunt with for long range, its just a 2 shot gun. It won't last long and it will be my last carbon barrel. So I'm not surprised about your troubles.

Recent Posts