Groups out of a carbon barrel

Honestly here's the issue... It's the barrel! Carbon, Steel, or whatever you are using DOESN'T matter! If the barrel is a shooter it's a shooter. Look at CA... Most of their issues are the barrels, change them up and now you have a great rifle. There is no difference in load development or how a barrel will react, just one may do something better over the other... Look at Cars, my daily driver gets me to work, so will my truck but at a more of a cost. Can my car tow, yes, but not like my truck! see the point. Doesn't matter the material of the barrel.

Barrels perform or they don't, waiting for it to settle in is BS! It shouldn't have to. Cold bore or not, if it's a great barrel it's a great barrel and will do just fine. Most of the time the cold bore is shooter induced

Get rid of that barrel and quit wasting components. It's hard to make the decision but more often than not you are going to spend more time, effort and money fighting something that will only shoot marginal at best. I have 2 right now that are in the process of getting replaced because I am tired of messing with them.

A thought: When you shoot 'rapidly' you are probably holding the rifle in a consistant manner over the three shots. When you are waiting 5 to 10 minutes between shots you have moved around so you now have a 'new' hold each time you fire. Yes, no, maybe?
popcorn 50 kb.jpg

Don't ever think a big name barrel maker wont let a bad one get out the door.
I've dealt with them from 3 companies so far. 2 admitted it, one declined to even inspect theirs.
My buddy had a hell of a time with a big name brand. Finally I convinced him he needed a new barrel. That gun was a shooter after. My rule of thumb is if I can't get it to shoot right off the bat I'm scrapping the barrel

My buddy had a hell of a time with a big name brand. Finally I convinced him he needed a new barrel. That gun was a shooter after. My rule of thumb is if I can't get it to shoot right off the bat I'm scrapping the barrel
It takes some longer than others, but I'm with you. If I can't see great potential inside of 100-150 rds, it's getting unscrewed. Used to say 150-200….

This is a time I would recommend a Led Sled,take the shooter out of the picture.
I don't use Led Sled often but this is where I would.Don't use the weights and let it recoil.
As long as nothing the barrel channel is touching the barrel it should shoot well.

Cold bore shifts are often shifts in the wind direction and velocity. Many shooters are not aware of how wind conditions and wind shifts have such a dramatic impact in changing the bullet path.

It proves to be an incredible investment to spend money a little cash on a wind flag.
Or it could just be a rifle with a problem. I have a Stevens 200 that I restocked in a Boyds laminated stock. I trued the action, did a trigger job, made stainless pillars and bedded the stock.....3 different times. I had 3 different barrels in different calibers on that action and 2 different scopes. I spent countless hours and hundreds of dollars in handloads, only to finally figure out that the magazine box was made slightly longer than any other Savage/Stevens rifles that I owned. I deepened the magazine well inlet by .035, and rebedded the action for the 3rd time. I installed the 308 Win barrel that I had on the gun last and within 2 trips to the range and 50 rounds, I had the gun shooting consistent 5 shot groups in the mid .3's to low .4's with a couple of groups in the high .2's. It took me a couple of years to finally figure that problem out and now the granddaughter hunts with it. :rolleyes: Oh, and in case you were wondering, the 308 barrel was originally a used 30-06 factory Remington barrel that I refit to the Stevens. I got it off a guy for $25 who had it taken off his rifle because "it wasn't any good and won't shoot better than an inch".
1717454050732.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts