Grilled Cows's Udders paired with some ribs, and a cold beer

LVJ76

Hadn't had them since my dad passed 11 years ago, he always had some to throw in the grill, literally always.

In Mexico we could always find them, my dad lived in the border town of Nogales AZ, and went across the border several times a week. He bought all his beef down there, the meat from Sonora Mexico is know to be some of the best there is.

About a month ago I was talking with a friend at a get together over some Carne Asada, talking about beef cuts amongst other things and when I mentioned "ubre" (spanish for cow udders) he mentioned he might be able to get some. His dad has a butcher shop in town, and they are also from Mexico, so when he went to his home town of Hermosillo in Sonora Mexico, he got some for me.

So thanks to him, here they are:

For those who haven't tried them, when raw, they are a cream or beige color, apologies for the poor lighting.

20230520_203401.jpg

Here they are grilled with some sea salt

20230520_205014.jpg

Paired with some beef ribs

20230520_203653.jpg

Can honestly say I've never had it or even seen it offered. I'd try it. Looks like it would be good in tacos. Or a burrito with some chichrions. What is the flavor/textures?

Can honestly say I've never had it or even seen it offered. I'd try it. Looks like it would be good in tacos. Or a burrito with some chichrions. What is the flavor/textures?

By itself, or in a taco over a corn tortilla with cabbage and a good roasted salsa, just can't go wrong.

It has its unique flavor, it's a little fatty and tender, and texture is like bitting into a well prepared octopus, well, muchbl softer than octopus, tender but doesn't fall apart.

Holy cow, they are udderly delicious! 🤣 I grew up eating them; it was quite the delicatessen. Grilled over an open fire, dipped in vinegar with fresh garlic, black pepper, and salt., over rice, and beer, YUM!

Brother I need your recipe, I have a few more pounds of it. I grill it all natural, I just add coarse sea salt.

Well, I was raised on a Southern farm and small time ranch were little was wasted from anything, and I have never had these. I will have to check with the local ranch and meat processor to see if they have any. Worth a try anyway.