GPS v. Phone with OnX

Backcountry_IDN

Before I start, I would like to say that ive never used a handheld GPS. Just my phone with OnX. I dont know anything about hand held gps'.
I used my phone last season with onX. Worked amazingly.

I just won a new Garmin 20x at my work Christmas party.

Question is, do I keep it? If so, why is it better than just a phone with OnX?

I can return it to SW and use that $150-$200 on something else. (Camo, reloading supplies, save or something later, etc)

Thanks.

If it were me, I'd keep it and learn how to use it. Nothing wrong with improving your skill set and being able to use multiple tools for navigation. Especially if you go deep into large isolated hunting territory alone. You could make it your back up navigation source if something were to happen to your phone.

I have and use both.......the biggest plus for me on the GPS, is that it uses AA batteries..... if I carry a couple back up batteries they will fit any of my lights, GPS, or radio if I'm carrying one. I don't feel both are necessary but I like back up plans if I'm going in far......the only thing onx gives me over GPS, is property info so I like it better for scouting.

I've had on-X in my Garmin for a little over two years. Wouldn't swap it with anything available. The only negative I can see is a $100 per state for the card. I tried the Garmin card which was promoted to be similar, but returned it for the on-X. Good luck

+1 for going to the InReach. I use OnX plus the InReach. I just use the regular topographical maps with unit overlays with the InReach and then that gives me a little different map than what my OnX does, which can be helpful.

My wife definitely appreciates being able to message me and see where I'm at with the InReach.

+1 for going to the InReach. I use OnX plus the InReach. I just use the regular topographical maps with unit overlays with the InReach and then that gives me a little different map than what my OnX does, which can be helpful.

My wife definitely appreciates being able to message me and see where I'm at with the InReach.

Thats good to,know! My wife always worries when I'm gone longer than an over night trip. Took it back today and ordered in the explorer inreach model

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.