Go to hunting rifle?

I've had 2 Model 70 out of the 4 that I have, that I don't hesitate to grab if I'm in a hurry. Both CF 308 and a 300WM.
And have loaded ammo from 110gr. to 215 for both, both have over 1000 rounds shot by me. IMO I could take down Anything with either one. 🤓

Tikka 6.5 saum. Confidence is everything when selecting a rifle. Shoots extremely well to 600 ( farthest I've shot it). I could easily sell everything in the stable and hunt with it every season.

Mine would be my least custom rifle.

7RM
R700LA
26" Bartlein #3 fluted w. APA Little Bast brake
Manners EH2
R700 BDL w. Wyatt's extended box
Timney Calvin Elite
Seekins 20MOA rail and 6/4 rings
S&B PMII 3-20×50 H2CMR

This rifle was owned by my late father-in-law as a bone stock R700 BDL 7RM and we hunted together for 25 years. He never shot anything with it. When he was in hospice about a week before he passed away, he asked me to rebuild it like some of my other rifles and kill an elk for him. A week after he passed away, I dropped it off at the GS and had it built. That fall, my younger daughter was the forst person to kill anything with it. A cow elk. I killed my biggest bull to date the following year. My older daughter killed her last elk with it. It is now the go-to family rifle for extended family members to use for elk hunting. Cousins, nephews, my brother, my son-in-law, etc. It has many killed elk from 50ish to 881 yds.

It is 100% the ONLY rifle I would never get rid of until I hand it down. I could sell all my other guns and not shed a tear, but not that one. That is a legacy rifle.

Last edited:
I'd love to build a purposeful bolt action that would be my go to hunting rifle for anything.... I think my desired cartridge would be the 7PRC. Until then, I'm probably going to stick with 7mm08 out of my large frame AR.

My current hunting rifle is a Tikka in an HNT 26, fluted stainless barrel chambered in .284 Win-imp. Built before the 7 PRC existed but it runs just behind it, when it's time for a barrel there's a good chance I'll have the bolt face opened up and go to 7PRC. I'd keep that rifle

My almost 100 year old Winchester Model 58 22 LR. Doesn't have a serial number on it, and there's no actual proof it even exists other than it's in my possession.

If God didn't want us to shoot deer at night, he wouldn't have made their eyes shine 😈 And if I'm down to just that rifle, the current state of the world is that I'm probably reflecting candle light off the inside of an old tin can to see them.