Glass bed modeling clay

Wy Will

I am going to use modeling clay for my next bedding job. I used plumber's putty in the past. I have regular modeling clay and the air dry version. What kind do most use. I assume the non drying kind. I thought the air drying version might be useful for the stock in the mag well and trigger area. Any thoughts?
IMG_1075.jpeg

I am going to use modeling clay for my next bedding job. I used plumber's putty in the past. I have regular modeling clay and the air dry version. What kind do most use. I assume the non drying kind. I thought the air drying version might be useful for the stock in the mag well and trigger area. Any thoughts?View attachment 486135
Hobby lobby
image.jpg

Use clay, silly putty, plumbers putty, etc on areas that you don't want epoxy. Like trigger well, mag well, a dam on the stock in front of the recoil lug, etc. still use epoxy to actually bed the stock.
I've never heard of using clay, silly putty, etc. before. Why are shooters using this instead of the epoxy compounds normally used?

This is interesting. I have a rifle now that needs bedding.

I am going to use modeling clay for my next bedding job. I used plumber's putty in the past. I have regular modeling clay and the air dry version. What kind do most use. I assume the non drying kind. I thought the air drying version might be useful for the stock in the mag well and trigger area. Any thoughts?View attachment 486135
How did the plumbers putty work ? Curious why you are trying something else ?

I use the modeling clay, BUT...
I use a commercial mold release agent (aerosol) when bedding receivers because there's zero chance of missing any area. I spray the inside of the receiver liberally before filling with the clay- it prevents the clay from sticking to the receiver. When I'm done, I spray the exterior (including the clay). Never had a problem.

I use the modeling clay, BUT...
I use a commercial mold release agent (aerosol) when bedding receivers because there's zero chance of missing any area. I spray the inside of the receiver liberally before filling with the clay- it prevents the clay from sticking to the receiver. When I'm done, I spray the exterior (including the clay). Never had a problem.
Which commercial aerosol mold release do you use and where are you purchasing it?