Frankford Arsenal De-prime hand tool review

MarkInPA

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a review of the Frankford Arsenal hand de-prime tool. First let me come right out and say that I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. I wanted to get my de-priming away from my reloading press. I just didn't like having the dirt on the press. Precision ground reloading dies and abrasive priming dust just don't seem to mix. I have been using a RCBS universal de-priming tool on the reloading press until now. I had watched videos on the Frankford Arsenal hand tool and the Harvey hand de-prime tool. It seemed like getting the brass situated so that the primer was located at the de-priming rod was problematic on the Harvey tool. Most of the videos on the Harvey tool illustrated this and I stayed away from it. Now to be honest, I was skeptical on the Frankford Arsenal too. It seemed like the videos of the guys using this tool were haveing a hard time. Constantly knocking cases over and fumbling with them. Having trouble picking them out of the tool. Got to tell you. For me it was as slick as could be and the process was much faster than using the universal de-prime tool on the press. I didn't have to pick any of the cases out of the tool. As a matter of fact, if you keep the tool pointing downwards when you release the trigger, the case will slide right out without the need of grabbing it. I quickly learned that I could keep a basket directly under the tool when I released the trigger, and I did not even have to handle the case coming out of the tool. They would simply drop right into the basket. This tool was much better than I originally thought it would be. Give it a try. It will speed up your process and keep the dirt off of your press.

Agreed the FA depriming tool is legit. My only gripe is that I broke one of the plastic inserts for magnum sized cases and couldn't find a replacement. I just bought a new complete unit and keep two of them set up for different sized cases. Well worth the money for a nice piece of kit.

I'll be another to say the FA tool is great. I got it a couple years ago when my daughters were younger so I could be in the kitchen area depriving and keep an eye on them. Now they sit with me and help. I've started to say that if you teach your kids to brass prep they'll never have time to be in trouble 😁. Anyways Ive never had an issue with it and really like that I don't "have" to be at the bench to deprime

I'll be another to say the FA tool is great. I got it a couple years ago when my daughters were younger so I could be in the kitchen area depriving and keep an eye on them. Now they sit with me and help. I've started to say that if you teach your kids to brass prep they'll never have time to be in trouble 😁. Anyways Ive never had an issue with it and really like that I don't "have" to be at the bench to deprime
Just wish it wasn't made in China. That's the only fault.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a review of the Frankford Arsenal hand de-prime tool. First let me come right out and say that I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. I wanted to get my de-priming away from my reloading press. I just didn't like having the dirt on the press. Precision ground reloading dies and abrasive priming dust just don't seem to mix. I have been using a RCBS universal de-priming tool on the reloading press until now. I had watched videos on the Frankford Arsenal hand tool and the Harvey hand de-prime tool. It seemed like getting the brass situated so that the primer was located at the de-priming rod was problematic on the Harvey tool. Most of the videos on the Harvey tool illustrated this and I stayed away from it. Now to be honest, I was skeptical on the Frankford Arsenal too. It seemed like the videos of the guys using this tool were haveing a hard time. Constantly knocking cases over and fumbling with them. Having trouble picking them out of the tool. Got to tell you. For me it was as slick as could be and the process was much faster than using the universal de-prime tool on the press. I didn't have to pick any of the cases out of the tool. As a matter of fact, if you keep the tool pointing downwards when you release the trigger, the case will slide right out without the need of grabbing it. I quickly learned that I could keep a basket directly under the tool when I released the trigger, and I did not even have to handle the case coming out of the tool. They would simply drop right into the basket. This tool was much better than I originally thought it would be. Give it a try. It will speed up your process and keep the dirt off of your press.
My wife bought me one and it's the best thing since sliced bread

I agree with dirt and carbon on my press and dies. For that reason I deprime off my presses and wet tumble brass. I happen to use a seperate press in a different location to deprime and that works well for me.

I agree with dirt and carbon on my press and dies. For that reason I deprime off my presses and wet tumble brass. I happen to use a seperate press in a different location to deprime and that works well for me.
I considered using a dedicated press for the sole purpose of depriming too. I already had a universal depriming die and looked into buying the cheapest reloading press I could find. A Lee. I think the Lee press was slightly more than the Frankford Arsenal but, I could be mistaken about that. I just know that now, I am happy that I bought the Frankford Arsenal. Not that we are necessarily in race reloading shells but, I can use the Frankford Arsenal much faster than the press. I wouldn't have believed it before hand but I now know it is true. Plus, I don't have something else mounted to my bench and getting in my way.

Last edited:
I considered using a dedicated press for the sole purpose of depriming too. I already had a universal depriming die and looked into buying the cheapest reloading press I could find. A Lee. I think the Lee press was slightly more than the Frankford Arsenal but, I could be mistaken about that. I just know that now, I am happy that I bought the Frankford Arsenal. Not that we are necessarily in race reloading shells but, I can use the Frankford Arsenal much faster than the press. I wouldn't have believed it before hand but I now know it is true. Plus, I don't have something else mounted to my bench and getting in my way.
Yeah I started depriming with the cheap Lee but it's just so bottom of the barrel...not real satisfying to use and a pain to empty the spent primers. Picked up a Lyman with a "C" shape open front design and it's awesome for dedicated depriming. I have this press off my main reloading bench and onto another bench I use for working on guns. It's on an Inline Fabrication quick change base to have multiple tools on one station.

We all evolve with what works for us.