Flintlock Loads

OK, thanks for the advice I will probably go that route.
Will still be a couple months or so. Trying to pay a couple other things off first.
Don't like the bebt getting too far ahead of me!

My guess is that your TC has a 1:48 twist. If this is in fact the case, you could shoot patched round balls or a conical bullet. I have read that many folks get the TC Maxiball or MaxiHunter to shoot well. So, those are options. My particular advice would be to try the Hornady Great Plains bullet. I do know that those things kill stuff dead. I would suggest loading a lubricated felt or similar over-powder wad before loading the bullet. If on the other hand, your twist rate is anywhere near 1:66, you'll likely have trouble getting anything but a patched round ball to shoot well. I'd recommend starting with a .490 ball as previously suggested. You could vary the patch thickness and run a .495 ball, but the reloading will probably be a chore for the second shot - so, something to consider. in my round ball guns, I've gotten in the habit of loading a lubed patch on top of the powder and then the patched round ball on top of that. I can't say for sure that my accuracy is any better but I can definitely say that the patches I've recovered that were around the ball looked brand new. I don't think that is a bad thing and adds only a couple of seconds to my loading process.
As for powder, try both 2F and 3F and see which one gives you better accuracy. I'd suggest starting at about 60 grains and work up from there. My experience is that groups will get better up to a point and then start getting worse. My guess is that point will be somewhere in the 80-ish grain range if you load 2F and maybe 5-10 grains lower if you run 3F. My shoulder thinks the recoil using 3F is a little snappier than a similar load of 2F. Yours might have a different opinion. If you decide to run 3F, don't be afraid to use it in the pan as well. I haven't tried it personally, but I can't imagine that 2F wouldn't work either.
Keep your flint sharp and your powder dry. Good luck!

Recent Posts