Flintlock Loads

Ron 6mm

I just bought a 50 caliber Thompson Center flintlock. Any recommendations on Bullet and powder recommendations? I have seen some recommending FFG loads, others with FFFG loads and so on. I hope to use it on deer out to about 50 to 75 yards. Thanks everyone. Rp

I would recommend using sabots over round balls for hunting. The hornady 240xtp hp is offered with a sabot, killed dozens of deer with this combo. I run 90 grains of 2f behind it with the same gun. I have several of the tc hawkens, it's a shame they quit making them...

Which Thompson is it? Choose your projectile based on the twist rate. Ive killed game with round balls, conicals, and sabots from various flintlocks and other muzzle loaders. They all work. If you can, find an online copy of the manual for your rifle, it has good load information. Let me know if you can't find one, I can take some pictures of my manual and send them to you.

Ii recommend a lead round ball in a flintlock for deer. They will stabilize well with a 1;48-1;60" twist barrels and have more then sufficient expansion, energy, and accuracy to kill a deer at the range you are hunting. I use both cast and swaged(Hornady .490 lead round balls), OxYoke .015" patches lubed with Track of the Wolf Mink Oil, 3F GOEX or Schutzen Black powder, and 4F Black powder for priming. I prefer English Black Flints. Both the Mink Oil and Flints can be acquired at the "Track of the Wolf" web site. I would start with a 60gr(by volume) charge and work up to 70 gr. This recipe has worked very well for me in several of my flintlocks, including my first deer taken with a flintlock, a Thompson Center 50 cal Hawken back in the 70's.
IMG_1233.jpeg

Grayfox, It may be a few months but I am planning on getting a higher quality Flintlock at some time. Sounds like I may need to pick your brain a bit when time comes.
I have been shooting caplock for some time ( Lymans Great Plains) so I am no rookie but always wanted a nice flintlock.
Sounds like you have some experience with them.

Grayfox, It may be a few months but I am planning on getting a higher quality Flintlock at some time. Sounds like I may need to pick your brain a bit when time comes.
I have been shooting caplock for some time ( Lymans Great Plains) so I am no rookie but always wanted a nice flintlock.
Sounds like you have some experience with them.
I'd be more then happy to speak with you when your ready. While I do a lot of long range shooting, living in the Northeast, the majority of my hunting has been in the Northeast with flintlocks and traditional archery. While I have accumulated quite a few custom flintlocks over the years, there are some excellent rifles available that won break the bank. You might take a look at the Kibler Longrifles site in the mean time. Jim's rifles are superb, and historically quite accurate. I have two left hands and put together one of his Colonial Rifle Kits that turned out
quite nice, and is a superb shooter. Shot this fat doe last season with it.
IMG_2010.jpeg

Last edited:
I am hoping to get my Harpers Ferry rifle out this season. In the process of replacing the rear sight with a taller one. When I took delivery it was grouping 8" low at 50yds? Front sight was already very short so no option there.
IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG