Flaring Ducks & Geese

BSPPC

Just returned from a bird hunt in SK. My shoots on decoying or pass shooting were good. When birds flare after initial shots, and they are going up and away I miss virtually 100% of the time. Birds flaring and going at angles I can hit pretty good.
How do you hit birds flaring up and straight away from you ??

Attachments

• IMG_9313.jpeg
    IMG_9313.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 13
I'm no shooting instructor but here's my take. Assuming you are shooting birds out in front of you. Birds flaring straight up I shoot above them. Going away I shoot under. This is an oversimplification but it works for me. At times I start at the tail swing through and then squeeze trigger and others it's just a timed lead and squeeze. It's just instinct lol. Spend some time at the clays range and work on those 2 targets until you get the hang of it.

I'm no shooting instructor but here's my take. Assuming you are shooting birds out in front of you. Birds flaring straight up I shoot above them. Going away I shoot under. This is an oversimplification but it works for me. At times I start at the tail swing through and then squeeze trigger and others it's just a timed lead and squeeze. It's just instinct lol. Spend some time at the clays range and work on those 2 targets until you get the hang of it.

Yes me too. Took be a bit of practice. The ones coming straight at me and going away were the hardest to hit. Practice those scenarios

Thanks

Buck

If they are low going away, they be on the rise in your line of sight so you'll be blocking them out with your barrel. Like shooting trap.

If they are high going away, they'll be dropping in your line of sight and you'll have to be under them.

I too use the swing-through method and it works fine either way.

Recent Posts