fitting a Christensen barrel onto a tikka

dave_halsey

So I've got a tikka 270wsm with a barrel that's getting towards the end of its life and I've also got a fairly new Christensen arms medium palma ( off the mesa long range) in 300prc sitting around. Looks like it's got plenty steel to cut off and re threat to a tikka and chambered in a 300saum or 300sherman short. Any reason why it wouldn't work? was going to order a new stock to fit the heavier barrel and send the barrel in to have it fluted to save weight. The few main reasons why im curious is because its an 8 twist so i could run the 205 badlands bd-2( could be epic in a 300 sherman short or saum) and second i already have it sitting here haha.

Attachments

• ca1.jpg
    ca1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
With the larger shank OD I don't see a problem. But this would be a personal project for myself were my time is free. If a smith is willing to do it, ask about pricing?
I would dial in the bore and throat, turn the shank down to the tikka OD, cut off the threads. Then start with a blank but that's just me.

With the larger shank OD I don't see a problem. But this would be a personal project for myself were my time is free. If a smith is willing to do it, ask about pricing?
I would dial in the bore and throat, turn the shank down to the tikka OD, cut off the threads. Then start with a blank but that's just me.
What does the shank need to be turned down to for the tikkas?

Worth considering having the smith turn off the funky radius at the front of the receiver. It'll look much better with the larger diameter barrel you've got.

Worth considering having the smith turn off the funky radius at the front of the receiver. It'll look much better with the larger diameter barrel you've got.
Would it be easier to turn the barrel shank down or the receiver?

^^^
Barrel's easier to deal with, simple to turn down the cylinder to the diameter needed after setting back the breech- since you'll need to refinish the barrel anyway due to the fluting.
The receiver would need be set up and indicated which will take more time (=$).

Only concern I'd have is if the barrel has a heavy round count, if lightly used there shouldn't be an issues with set back/rechamber.

^^^
Barrel's easier to deal with, simple to turn down the cylinder to the diameter needed after setting back the breech- since you'll need to refinish the barrel anyway due to the fluting.
The receiver would need be set up and indicated which will take more time (=$).

Only concern I'd have is if the barrel has a heavy round count, if lightly used there shouldn't be an issues with set back/rechamber.
It has about 250 rounds down the tube. Im really thinking that it might just be best to spend the money in the right ways and just go with a new pre fit mcgowan or carbon6.

Tikka tpi is darn identical to a 700. Just slightly smaller diameter. I would
Advise against facing off the action. You'll never be able to use a tikka prefit again.
Remington and Tikka are both 16 TPI but that is the only similarity, The Remington has a counterbore and measures 1 1/16, The Tikka is around 1 inch and has a flat breechface, But it is also 16 TPI.