First Handgun Buck

ktms4me

Last year Missouri changed the muzzleloader season to alternative weapons season.So I traded the 50 cal barrel for a7mm-08 ,its alot easier to clean.
I got off work at noon on Christmas eve,and didnt have any commitments ,so I headed to a blind I had set up overlooking a wheatfield. It was a exciting afternoon,it started with a doe and two young ones coming out about 4:00. I thought very serious about taking the doe but it was too early in the afternoon. Next aspike that was barely bigger than a button buck arrived. Then a big8 inch spike that had one side missing already. Next a nice 6 pt comes out, he feeds quite awhile and keeps looking back where he came from. Its starting to get dark and then a nice buck comes out. He is about 110 yards, I check him out with the binocs to see if he is a shooter. I decide to take him ,so I get my Encore on him and touch it off. No flagging and he is going as fast as he can !!
I get out and close up the windows on my blind,then head down to look for him. I walk into the tall grass looking for blood and I jump him up about 10 yards from me, he goes busting *** across the field! Now I'm thinking did I hit him or what it was getting so dark I couldn't find any blood. I looked around a little and decide to come back in the morning since its about 20 degrees out.
I tell my hunting partner about it and he goes with me the next day. Were walking to where I jumped him, and I say he should have crossed right in here. I look down and there is a blood trail, to shorten the story ,he only went about 120 yards total from whereI jumped him. 7mm-08 with 140 grain Sierra boattail did its job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.