First Elk - Arlington, WY

257WHBY13

Went on my first Elk hunt with Tyler Sims Outfitters in Arlington, WY. Had an awesome guide named Aaron, who put up w/ my slow, gasping ways as we hiked. Saw a ton of Elk every day, but on day four in a fog, got 383 yards away from a big herd. I got this bull @ 383 yards with my 8mm Remington Magnum. Made a good first shot and he ran in a semi-circle about 30 yards and hit him again. Bullet was Sierra 220 grain Gameking going about 2300 fps on impact; weighed 158.6 grains for 72 % retention weight.

Thanks again to all the staff at Tyler Sims Outfitters!! Great group to hunt with!!

thumbnail_IMG_1146.png

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1189.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1189.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_1139.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1139.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 17
Great bull! Nice to drop them on the flats like that, a lot easier to get them packed out.
Congratulations!
Funny you say that... when the guide & I got to the bull, he said " do you know what the best thing is" ...... I said " you are happy to be done w/ me?" he laughed & said " no we can get the truck right to him! ". Gutted him, winched him right into pickup!

Funny you say that... when the guide & I got to the bull, he said " do you know what the best thing is" ...... I said " you are happy to be done w/ me?" he laughed & said " no we can get the truck right to him! ". Gutted him, winched him right into pickup!
That has happened to me only once, with a cow.
Usually it's hilly, 2-4 miles from camp. Need to be skinned, quartered & back packed out in 2 - 3 trips, if you don't get snowed out.

Recent Posts