FINALLY! After-Market Iron Sights for the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzle Loader!

Don't lose hope... we're in production of the LA mag actions..

What bullet is he shooting?
Yah I've been waiting for the Curtis LA Mag for quite a spell myself. Now I see they have a delivery date on their website. Both Joel and Chase have been very good about getting back to me with their production updates and there has been a few,LOL!! So I think they are on the way very soon and I believe it will be worth the wait.

Hi All,

Many thanks to Rob Gray for his write up. XS Sight Systems now offers all of the parts for iron sights on a Remington 700 UML packaged under part # RE-0002-5 at $104 + shipping. I have it on backorder - once it arrives I'll post a follow up as to whether it includes all needed parts.

Hi All,

Many thanks to Rob Gray for his write up. XS Sight Systems now offers all of the parts for iron sights on a Remington 700 UML packaged under part # RE-0002-5 at $104 + shipping. I have it on backorder - once it arrives I'll post a follow up as to whether it includes all needed parts.
Now you need to upgrade your breech plug to the new Arrowhead breech plug and never worry about replacing or head space again. Best investment you'll ever make for your RUM.
http://arrowheadsporting.com/asggen2_uml.html

Hi All,

On the front sight would you shoot using the top of the sight in the peep just wandering because I have to change mine as well

Hey Mitchell,
Sorry for the delayed response! My preferences apparently were never set up to notify me of posts for this thread!
To answer your question, The tip of the front sight should be centered in the rear peep. I could go into great detail regarding this topic, but suffice it to say the human eye is very good at centering hence the reason peep sights work so well. Good hunting!

Very good information, I fell victim to the RUM with the BC stock twice. One for me and the other for my son, started off with the See-All sight. Good sight for some applications but after one Colorado Mule deer hunt we realized it wasn't for us. Our guns are in and out of the saddle scabbard a lot, and Id say its only good for 150-200 yards tops. But as usual it was getting late in the year and not enough time to start over finding a different sight.
Only thing Id like to do different than you did is use a Globe sight for the front, like the Lyman Target Globe. Did you consider this at all?
Thanks so much for all the great information as I've been going a bunch of research also on this topic. And now it sounds as if Remington really left us hanging out to dry!!!
Id sure like to talk to you about this topic in greater detail, could you give me a call or a text when you get a chance? 701-400-0966 Jeff

Jeff,
Sorry for the late response, apparently I didnt set up my preferences to be notified when posts are placed on this thread!
I was so relieved to finally find an iron sight system that worked for this weapon that I quit looking once I found out how well the XS Sights performed. I too would prefer a hooded front sight for several reasons, but havent seen the Lyman Target Globe in person and it appears that it may not be tall enough for the UML. The tip of the front sight, or in this case the center of the Target Globe must be 1" high in order to get the proper sight alignment for 100 to 300 yard shots. The rear XS sight is adjustable for elevation change by loosening the set screw and simply screwing the rear peep up or down. Hope this helps!
PS. I will send you a text message to your phone number in case you still wish to chat.

Friends,

I've read this thread at least 20 times over the past 6 months as I plotted and planned exactly what I was going to do with my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. This was an excellent thread to warn others of consequences, and also to propose viable solutions. I went a different path, but I thought I'd share it with you as a plan B.

If you're obsessed about optics and mounts, arguably, some of the best rings and mounts you can purchase that do not require thousands of dollars for custom installations are the Talley Manufacturing quick-detach rings. The added benefit is they hold and return to zero when removed, and of course any global hunter knows to NEVER EVER EVER transport your firearm via plane, train, or automobile with the scope attached for if you do, you'll have a mangled, messed up scenario to deal with at hunting camp.

I purchased the Rem 700 Ultimate with the laminate stock and the front/rear iron sights for a couple of reasons. 1.) I needed the front ramp base. 2.) The stock has a low comb to make iron sights and LOW scope mounts a workable solution.

Using the Talley quick detach rings described above, I have a quick detach scope arrangement.

When the rings are removed, Talley makes a $70 quick detach rear peep sight that will affix to the rear scope mount when you need iron sights. They machine the rear mount to accommodate this (free of charge...you just have to ask when you order). Total rear peep height to the aperture is about .575" for reference.

Now you have two good choices for the front sight while using the factory-installed, impossible to buy ramp this thread discusses at length. You can either drift in any partridge sight you want if the factory one doesn't regulate with your loads. OR you can use a Williams/Lyman globe sight with inserts. The latter option can give you precision accuracy out to farther than most of us care to hunt.

The Talley quick detach rings and mounts, along with the quick detach rear peep sight costs around $250. The front globe sight costs under $40 with inserts whereas any of the hundreds of partridge blade sights run $12-$15.

I believe the setup described provides the very best combination of both Iron Sights and Optical Sights on demand.

New to Muzzle Loading!! I Just ordered a RUM and XS setup for my Colorado Mule Deer trip this year. Does anyone have a good powder/bullet combination that shoots well out of the RUM ??

There should be a Buyer Beware disclaimer!! If you plan on buying a Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzle Loader, and you plan on shooting iron/open sights, you may not wish to purchase the model 86960 with the Bell and Carlson stock. If you live and hunt in Colorado or Utah where it is against the law to hunt with a muzzle loader using any magnifying optics or sight system other than iron sights (or 1x scopes in Utah), this model may not be for you. I opted for the Bell and Carlson stock as a more weatherproof, lighter option (model #86960) after reading several product specs stating both models came with iron sights.

This model (#86960) does NOT come with iron sights (regardless of what ANY website or distributor advertises).

Simple solution right?! Just order/buy the sights designed for the sister model #86950! Well, after hours and hours of research with Remington Customer service, I found that the rear sight on the model 86950 is a standard Williams WGRS-700 peep sight item #1451 retailing for approximately $39.95 from Williams Gun Sight Co. HOWEVER, the front sight on the rifle cannot be obtained by order... PERIOD!! Remington Customer Service Reps and I were BOTH educated on this new weapon. The front sight on the #86950 has three part numbers. The ramp #F28512; the sight post #F201985; and ramp screws (2) #F28505. The ramp screws can be obtained most anywhere using this part number. The dovetail HIGH sight post can be found but at limited locations on the web. HOWEVER, the ramp is a custom machined part designed for the Remington 700 Safari .458 Rem Mag rifle which comes from Remington's custom shop. Per Remington Customer Service, these parts are NOT AVAILABLE to the public and the weapon must be sent to Remington to be purchased and installed. If you want the model #86960, and you want to use Remington iron sights, plan on paying another $100-$150 to use iron sights AFTER you purchase the rifle! (and be prepared that the sights may not work with the B&C stock!)

Now, here's the rub! Remington offers both the laminated stock (#86950) and the Bell and Carlson stock (#86960) on this rifle. Remington advised (after weeks of constant phone calls by yours truly) that the weapon was test fired after fitting the Bell and Carlson stock, only to find out that the Bell and Carlson stock has an higher comb than the laminated stock, WHICH PLACES THE SIGHT PLANE TOO HIGH FOR THE REMINGTON IRON SIGHTS, making the Remington iron sights unusable on the model #86960! Remington decided to simply replace the iron sights with Weaver bases rather than spend additional money in R&D for a second iron sight system for this specific model.

After learning all of this, I contacted Williams Gun Sight, the manufacturer of the rear peep sight for the model #86950. All the measurements were provided to WGS, and after a trial run of their tallest sight package, they were unable to provide an iron sight system that worked with the model #86960.

I refused to give up and replace my model #86960 just so I could hunt in Colorado. After searching for more than a year, I came across XS Sights Co. based in Ft. Worth Texas. I reviewed products on their website and gave them a call. After spending a half an hour with XS Sight Tech William Cobb he provided me with a tall, weaver-mounted ghost ring mount (rear sight) to obtain the height I needed, and a tall front sight base with several test posts for sighting in. (I was able to use the rear Weaver mount supplied by Remington with the #86960). After only a few rounds, I was able to determine the total front sight height had to be almost exactly 1 inch high (.340 sight base height and .650 front post height).

XS Sights provided me with a .650 high front dovetail post and now the rifle is no longer a very expensive paper weight and is PERFECT for hunting in Colorado or Utah!

The XS sights are very well made. They are milled out of solid steel stock and professionally finished.

The sights required for the Remington UML #86960 are specifically:

-Tall Weaver Backup ghost Ring, part #WB-2001N-T
-#6 x .605 C to C .39 R .340 H - Front Base, part #12-2031A-039-1
-3/8 Dovetail Trapper Center Dovetail White Stripe Front Post- .650 H, part # 11-2072C-650-2

Cost for these sight parts totals $140 including shipping.

I hope this helps those who require iron sights on their #86960 but have yet to find any!
View attachment 81578 View attachment 81579 View attachment 81580 View attachment 81581 View attachment 81582 View attachment 81583
I purchased the Williams peep back when I muzzleload hunted Colorado. That sight was very nice and I could shoot it at 100 easily and group very well. Wound up actually shooting it at 150 consistently grouping under 5". Too me, that was very impressive with 480 grain White Super slugs.