Favorite Thermal Scope

dirtclod

In the market to upgrade my thermal scope. Will be used on 22 cal PCP air rifle, 22 ARC, and 6.5 PRC. Ranges, 5-500 yds. Varmints-coyote,bobcat,rabbits,fox and any other varmint that makes me mad, LOL!
First ANT was a disaster. Now I would like to forget about and buy once, cry once!

Pulsar is my choice, their flagship XL50 is a very nice scope. I believe it's the same sensor as in the Merger XL50 binos, which are the best thing I've ever bought in terms of thermal/NV. I still mainly use the older XP50 because I use subsonics at relatively close range for most of my nighttime work, but would like to be able to stretch the XL 50 on coyotes eventually. Just don't have those long open shots on my ranch, 300 yards is about as far as I reasonably can go, and 99% of shots are within 100 yards there.

There's also the Pulsar Duo, it's a pretty cool little toy with both thermal and digital color for daylight. Not as good as a dedicated thermal or real glass optic, but it lets me see the reticle view on my phone and helps coach my boys a little on the target, and we can watch replay later.

I put my Thermions into Spuhr one-piece mounts. Makes changing to a new rifle very easy, no dealing with ring alignment/ minimizes ways for the scope to shift relative to the base. They're expensive but so is the scope itself, I figure something a nice as these scopes deserve a solid mount.

I'd like to hear more about your ATN issues. I have a Thor 5 and their new sensor is on par with my Thermions. I wouldn't say as good as the newest Pulsar sensor, but directly competes with the most recent prior generation.

These are compressed and downsized screen caps via a cell phone downloaded from my Merger binos with the new sensor. This is ~100 yards, in full daylight, when it was 100*+ outside in the afternoon. Think about what it takes to differentiate temps to the point you can identify individual asphalt shingles during the hottest time of day, and translate that to 90* body heat against cold background. These things rock, and when you're looking through them at the HD screen in the scope/binos, it's unreal. I can distinguish the ears of rabbits at 200 yards at night in the summer.

asdfdf.jpg

23d23d.jpg

If you can find a local dealer, it's well worth it to look through scopes on your own. If not, Hans ETX on YouTube and Legacy Outdoors do excellent reviews online.

I went with an Iray Rico 640 and have been extremely happy with the purchase. Eventually picked up a Pulsar Telos scanner which has been awesome as well.

Iray rh50 r is the best I've used. 640, range finder, internal ballistics software that works awesome. I have several 2-300 yd coyotes a 400yd coyote and would have had a 600yd coyote last week but I didn't hold enough wind (20-25mph) The elevation was perfect using the ballistics app in the scope. I will only recommend that one to anyone serious about wanting a good thermal and not spending $8-9000. I've used the pulsars, Bering ( super yoter lrf), nvision xrf and they work great but humidity seemed to mess with the pulsar more than the iray, i like the picture in the iray better than the Bering, and the nvision xrf is great all around but 1.5 times the price. You can save different zeros for different guns switch it back and forth too. The mount is rock solid.

Last edited:
Pulsar is my choice, their flagship XL50 is a very nice scope. I believe it's the same sensor as in the Merger XL50 binos, which are the best thing I've ever bought in terms of thermal/NV. I still mainly use the older XP50 because I use subsonics at relatively close range for most of my nighttime work, but would like to be able to stretch the XL 50 on coyotes eventually. Just don't have those long open shots on my ranch, 300 yards is about as far as I reasonably can go, and 99% of shots are within 100 yards there.

There's also the Pulsar Duo, it's a pretty cool little toy with both thermal and digital color for daylight. Not as good as a dedicated thermal or real glass optic, but it lets me see the reticle view on my phone and helps coach my boys a little on the target, and we can watch replay later.

I put my Thermions into Spuhr one-piece mounts. Makes changing to a new rifle very easy, no dealing with ring alignment/ minimizes ways for the scope to shift relative to the base. They're expensive but so is the scope itself, I figure something a nice as these scopes deserve a solid mount.

I'd like to hear more about your ATN issues. I have a Thor 5 and their new sensor is on par with my Thermions. I wouldn't say as good as the newest Pulsar sensor, but directly competes with the most recent prior generation.
Thanks!!! ATN was constantly freezing up and customer support was horrible at that time (COVID) i became so frustrated, I took it off and threw it into a canyon so I would never have to deal with it again.

I am considering my first investment here as well and some friends who have used ATN devices in the past, but didn't want to break the bank on the next upgrade, suggested they were having a good experience with some of the newer, higher resolution AGM Rattler thermal scopes.

(the only downside is that they are made in China and so you have to put up with a tiktok in upper right corner indoctrinating you in the principals of CCP, just joking)

Thanks!!! ATN was constantly freezing up and customer support was horrible at that time (COVID) i became so frustrated, I took it off and threw it into a canyon so I would never have to deal with it again.
That sucks you had a bad experience with them. I broke the housing on their first LRF module, and they sent me an entire new one without asking any questions. But that was an easy fix, maybe the software stuff threw them for a loop. They probably should have swapped out with you, if you still had it maybe the would still 🤣

The Thor 5 has been pretty awesome, but I'm sure you don't want to jump back into ATN based on your experience with them, and I don't blame your for that.

I am considering my first investment here as well and some friends who have used ATN devices in the past, but didn't want to break the bank on the next upgrade, suggested they were having a good experience with some of the newer, higher resolution AGM Rattler thermal scopes.

(the only downside is that they are made in China and so you have to put up with a tiktok in upper right corner indoctrinating you in the principals of CCP, just joking)
My first thermal was a rattler 384. I still have it and use it as a spotter when we are driving around in the buggy. I like it for that and it's nice to throw on another gun if someone doesn't have a thermal and we are going pig hunting.

It wasn't covid. I had nothing but bad experiences with atn myself. Well before covid.
I'm now running the Burris bts 50 and am happy with it. Mainly how easy it is to use at night when you can't see. Basically one button and one knob. You can control everything on it.

Get a refurbished Pulsar from @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland. The deal he offers on them is outstanding.

I got a Pulsar XQ50Pro LRF at an awesome price. Had issues with it when zeroing it in. Needless to say, Cameraland and Pulsar absolutely went above and beyond to fix the issue.

Thermals aren't cheap. Buy a reputable brand from a reputable dealer. The refurbished route was a great way to save money and still get a warranty with it. Couldn't be more pleased.