Favorite Dangerous Game Round

I do like frontal area and mass to drop a bear handily. The 33 calibres and up seem to work very well on bear. I've taken more bears with 35 calibres of various iterations than with any other calibre. They have generally worked quite well for me. However, even 28 calibre and less will work if the angle is correct and the shot is placed where it belongs.

375 without a doubt for me. even in a light gun the recoil is very manageable. i own a 470 double and a 416 double a few 458 bolts actions and i done even bring them anymore instead i use my 375 for anything big and a 30 cal for Long Range plains game. i used to bring the doubles when you could still bring 3 guns but now that its mostly 2 guns (most versitle setup to cover everything this has become my setup and i have shot up to and including elephant DRT with the 375. just get 2 loads solids and softs that shoot to the same POI and youre set, and only use the solids for the really big stuff. have half a dozen buff all one shot kills etc its a great round and operator friendly. i am not knocking the other stuff out there but many people cant handle the higher recoiling rounds as well as they think they can and i rather be able to shoot where i want than shoot a more powerful gun.

just my $.02

don

If the shots are further or the climb is steep and/or rough I'll take my custom Model 70 in 338wm.

If it's thick or I'm going in to the thick to find a wounded bear I like my 416 Rigby with 400 grain Swift AFrames.

I've killed a number of bears with each and they both work very well.

Last spring one of our bear hunting group brought his son on his first bear hunt. We spotted a nice big black bear boar for him and he got the fever during the stalk and just ****ed it off. He ran into the thickest crap you don't want to go into with a hole in his rear leg. My partner and I went in and I finished him off at about 25 feet as he started to come for us. I double lunged him with the 416. He kinda looked like he got pushed over hard and didn't really move again.

Critters that I shoot with it just kind of die quickly.

I have never hunted the big bears but have hunted cape buffalo and lion in Africa. The 375 H&H is very effective when there is some distance between you and an unaware animal. Also, an excellent choice when you have the opportunity to take other species that could present longer shots. Trajectories are similar to a 180gr. 30-06. It's very manageable and easy to shoot well. In close quarters and thick cover, particularly if the animal is aware of your presence, it's the 450 H&H double.

Just bought a 1895 in 45-70 to use on black bears. Even though my 30.06 dropped one where i shot it. there is no subsitute for shot placement.

My Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 pops the 250 Accubond out @ 2600 fps. With it's VX3 1.75-6 with CDS reticle, I can take'em in close or out to about 500 yds.

Or, I can run the 286 Partition @ 2500 fps. Hope to take a tundra grizzly this Sept 2012 with the wife's say-so.

AG9362.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
My Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 pops the 250 Accubond out @ 2600 fps. With it's VX3 1.75-6 with CDS reticle, I can take'em in close or out to about 500 yds.

Or, I can run the 286 Partition @ 2500 fps. Hope to take a tundra grizzly this Sept 2012 with the wife's say-so.

AG9362.jpg

Alan
I've got a space in the safe this would fit nicely. whose stock is on it?

Alan
My partner is the whitetail nut, me I'm just a nut. Late buck is 11/7-11/19 this year probably all, or a big chunk of the last week will see us in camp. We have an open camp folks coming or going depending on the year, the more the merrier. You'd be absolutely welcome, no conditions, to join in.
The camping is probably better than the hunting though. It's a herd of hard hunted deer.
Numbers are down, and the season ends just as the rut starts. The last couple of winters
have been tough, our predator numbers are up, and even for whitetails they're spooky.
Just checked cause I haven't in a while our "WILDLIFE" department wants $396 for a non-resident deer tag. Fuel from Utah being what it is, as much as I'd enjoy meeting you, the truth is you're more likely to hit one on the highway between here and there.
If it's an itch you have to scratch, PM me and I'll do everything I can to help.
The other truth is there are some true monsters out there.
Carl

Alan, that's a fine looking rifle, and it should serve you well on big bear or other big game.

Interesting choice of cartridge. The 9.3's seem to be gaining popularity here in North America where they've been largely overlooked for a long time.

Alan
You'd be absolutely welcome, no conditions, to join in.

If it's an itch you have to scratch, PM me and I'll do everything I can to help.
The other truth is there are some true monsters out there.
Carl

Carl,

Will have to wait a while. Wife is on dialysis and it's all I can do to get away for even a day or two.

Per the 9.3x62. If folks would take the time to study it they might find some interesting things. Running a 180 Sierra SPBT @ 2700 fps (somewhat typical '06 velocites), sea level, 30 deg F.

500 yds, drop.........energy
48.7".........1387 fpe (not that I put a lot of faith in fpe)

now the 250 AB in 9.3 running 2600 fps

500 yds, drop..........energy
53.5".......1735 fpe

4.8" more drop but 348 more fpe. To me, at 500 yds, an extra 4.8" of drop is insignificant. The extra 348 fpe is not to be sneezed at along with the extra 70 gr of bullet and .058" of bullet dia, IMHO. :D

It's extremely east to load for. Plenty of great quality components out there and an increasing # of factory loads should one need to go that route.

Alan

Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues, if at some point you find yourself this way check in, and maybe we can help put that whitetail on the done list. I've got the bug for a big bodied Canadian whitetail myself.
I've had .358s and .375s, and one can't look at those 286 grain 9.3s without wanting to slap something silly with one. I end up back at the realization I can't own them all, well maybe someday.
Wish your wife well!
Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.