Favorite 308 Elk Round

7dawg9

I'm a flatlander, I've taken three elk cows at average distance of 225 yds with my 308 using 150 gr Core Lokts. One was DRT and the others took two shots. If I ever draw a bull tag, what round would you recommend ?

There are many here that can help you way more than I can as I have only shot one elk and it was not with a 308 but at the time I was considering using my 308 so I did do a lot of looking at bullet possibilities. First, do you reload? If so, you will have way more possibilities. I do not, so I am somewhat limited. I would go with a 165 or 180 grain high BC bullet such as a Nosler Accubond, Barnes TTSX, Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, or Federal Copper. I was going to use the Nosler Trophy 165 gr accubond due to ballistics and that is what my rifle shot the best. I was getting 5/8 inch MOA and was going to be hunting above 10,000 feet so the numbers were pretty good. Federal makes two different 165 gr Trophy Bonded Tip rounds. One is high energy with a BC of .450 and a MV of 2880 but the only problem was I could not find any. I called Federal and it is a special run which they only do once a year in limited quantities. If you can find it, good luck, it is Vital Shok P308TT4. I suggest looking at some of these and choose what looks good then plug the data into the ballistic program here at the elevation you hunt and see what produces the most energy. Then you will have to get one box at a time to see which one gives you the best accuracy. Not reloading, I had to go through 5 different brands until I achieved the accuracy I was looking for.

I prefer .338s for elk, but .308s are certainly adequate. For all-around use a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM is a great round. Load it up with 180-200 grain bullets and you have a fine elk gun for most situations. If you are wanting to stick with 308 Winchester then I agree with the other posts, 165-180 grain bullets.

My go to 308win bullet was a 150 grain Barnes at 3000fps MV. With the 308win I kept it under 500 yards and killed a pile of elk, both bulls and cows! I now use a 6.5-06 imp and 300wm, with an ultra banging 230 Bergers for all my long range work. I have thought about loading some Berger 215 in my 308win based off some of the reports. That 215 Berger bullet is amazing on elk in other calibers I have.
Even the big ones die from shootin peas out of a 308win. I haven't been this cool since 2006!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 112
Nice bull
I've killed a pile of elk with a 308 but never one like that!
I liked the 168 smk or berger never had an issue with either. Keep you shots within your MER and good shot placement will get it done.

That being said I wouldn't trade my 300 norma or 338 lapua for my 308 for elk...I'd prefer my 375 cheytac if someone else would pack it lol.

This year I shot a big cow at 300 yards with a .308, using a 208 Amax. I load with Re-17 and am getting 2400 fps. It is a great 1000 yard load. The cow died on the spot.

My wife used her 30-06 and 165 Trophy Bonded Tip bullet to take down a very big body 5x5 bull on Thanksgiving morning.

It went 20 yards and piled up. I prefer a 180 in the '06, but she shoots this one so well and her rifle likes it so much, we had to go with it.

One shot broke leg, destroyed heart and was found under the hide on opposite side. Perfect performance and excellent weight retention.

Never shot an elk before... But if I were to go on an elk hunt, and I had to pick one of the rifles in my collection, I would choose my .300 Ackley with the Berger 210 VLD. Should stomp pretty hard.

My second choice would be my Sendero SF 7mm STW with the Berger 180 Hybrid. Which should also do the trick with a nice double-lung shot (I don't shoulder-shoot any game animal, as I like to conserve meat).

I don't have a favorite (yet) but I've tried a few.

150 gr Accubond at just over 2800 fps muzzle velocity (Lapua, WLR, H4895)dropped my wifes 330+ bull at 400 yards w her 308. First shot dropped it right there, it was quartering towards us and hit just low enough to miss vitals but through front shoulder and low rib cage. A few seconds later it got up to chase the cows that spooked when he fell. Second shot at about 360 yards also dropped it right there, perfect broadside shot through the back of the front shoulder and thru the heart. Bullet lodged in offside of hide. ~60% mass retention. Bull also got up after second shot but obviously didn't make it far.

Buddy took a big cow with a 30-06 and factory Vortex ammo (150TTSX) at about 150 yds. Bullet was lodged in the off side of the hide after a broadside shot. Cow made it 15-20 yards and fell over.

I've taken one mature bull with a 168TTSX (3030 fps) and a smaller bull with a 150TTSX (3400) as well. Both through and through, both took less than two steps, but both were around 120 yds broadside with a 300 WSM.

Great at 1000 yards for what purpose? Any guess on how fast that bullet is going at 1,000 yards ? My calculations show it delivering < 750 foot pounds of energy with a flight time of about 1.8 seconds and about 36 feet of holdover.

This year I shot a big cow at 300 yards with a .308, using a 208 Amax. I load with Re-17 and am getting 2400 fps. It is a great 1000 yard load. The cow died on the spot.

Recent Posts