Fattest Hog To Date

View attachment 529582
That's 2-1/2" at the thinnest point mid-section backstraps and 3" of solid fat by the shoulder. Yes, the belly fat (BACON) was pulled.
We believe this sow found a combine or some food source that was keeping her well fed.
It's just now getting cold enough in S. Texas for these hogs to build up fat. But this is not natural.

She dropped at 135 yards from a 20" 243Win, 87AH at 3430 FPS. DRT. Will post video later.

I hope the audio captures the bullet "thud" hitting this fat sow!
@Zen Archery
"But this is not natural."
If it is a very fat sow, and shows no signs of having had piglets, you may have a sow with brucellosis. The disease makes her slough off or abort the pigs. So she gets fat. Very very fat. I have killed several. I didn't have any issues. The disease can be in several species. Main thing is to wear gloves and watch for nicks or cuts. Blood to blood.
An acquaintance who was diabetic acquired the disease cleaning a couple of wild pigs. After a lengthy illness with severe flu like symptoms he recovered but lost a lot of toes due to circulatory issues while sick.
Just something to be aware of, do your own research.

Last edited:
"But this is not natural."
If it is a very fat sow, and shows no signs of having had piglets, you may have a sow with brucellosis. The disease makes her slough off or abort the pigs. So she gets fat. Very very fat. I have killed several. I didn't have any issues. The disease can be in several species. Main thing is to wear gloves and watch for nicks or cuts. Blood to blood.
An acquaintance who was diabetic acquired the disease cleaning a couple of wild pigs. After a lengthy illness with severe flu like symptoms he recovered but lost a lot of toes due to circulatory issues while sick.
Just something to be aware of, do your own research.
Brucellosis must taste good 😊
The fat ones I have eaten didn't have piglet's.
🤷🏼‍♂️

I've eaten a metric —— ton of them myself. And never had a problem. But I have also seen the results of when it becomes a problem and it's not pretty. Like a lot of problems, just something to be aware of, a few safety measures go a long way. Especially if you already have any health issues or compromised immune system, it is something to keep in mind.

Fat fat grown sow+smooth belly, no udders has never nursed a pig=caution