Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

I think it is pretty cool he is willing to attempt the challenge. I appreciate the good shooters and competitors making instructional videos. Most all of us wouldn't do this public as it is a recipe for failure if you think you will hit them all. I have been shooting my whole life and know for a fact I couldn't do it. Would be fun tho. Maybe just maybe we should spend more time enjoying our sport instead of ragging on others who are enjoying it. Good day friends!

He is going to try 130otm and 140 hybrid box bergers and if they aren't his liking, handloads. He also said if the lighter guns didn't shoot he'd take his heavier guns and hit the gym more.
Yeah I remember the part on lighter rifles, but mot the part on ammo. I think they changed the paramters on what they considered a hunting rifle as I recall elk was mentioned on the first video and Eric said Jim said it would be a rifle for antelope hunting.

He is going to try 130otm and 140 hybrid box bergers and if they aren't his liking, handloads. He also said if the lighter guns didn't shoot he'd take his heavier guns and hit the gym more.
Seems like his 6.5x47 would be his best option, although that Seekins wait is closer to a hunting rifle. Probably still heavier than what I would want to carry. I'd like to see how that Seekins performs.

This is more of a test of endurance shooting than proving anything for hunting. Here it would take 17 years to kill 100 deer. I'd shoot the rifle meant for this game and it would be that 6br or x47.
I agree since my original contention is the challenged is more of a test to set someone up for failure rather than a test to see if one is up for LR hunting. The barrel heating up after a few shots alone would change the probability of a hit. At least in a standard hunting rifle.

Seems like his 6.5x47 would be his best option, although that Seekins wait is closer to a hunting rifle. Probably still heavier than what I would want to carry. I'd like to see how that Seekins performs.
Just to clarify not to criticize it's a 6x47mm lapua, more speed less recoil.

Would probably be the most accurate to try this with.

Just to clarify not to criticize it's a 6x47mm lapua, more speed less recoil.

Would probably be the most accurate to try this with.
Whichever one was more accurate and consistent. I wouldn't have a problem with either one for antelope of deer. Even some elk have been taken with 6mm and 6.5mm pills.

I responded accordingly based on my morals.
I understand. I wouldn't expect you to treat your people in the same fashion. Like me when it comes to firearms. Since I trained people I set the up for success, not failure. I foresaw issues and swayed them away from them. The challenge is set up under a false pretense. From what I gather his claim is that if you can't succeed in his challenge then you have no business shooting long range at game. Well I don't see his challenge as a good test for this. For one who shoots a hundred rounds at one prey. Another is the target dimensions is smaller than even an antelope's vital area. The whole challenge is set up for failure imo. Not to see if you're ready for LR hunting.

Recent Posts