Abbreviated Backfire Challenge

lancetkenyon

I went out this morning to shoot an abbreviated (21 rounds) "Backfire Milk Jug Challenge".

I am way too lazy to set 20 milk jugs out in the desert, then go pick up the trash afterward, so I went out to Cowtown and used their steel targets.

I want to start by saying I suck at trying to focus my spotter looking at the phone screen. The first half is kind of blurry. And my first shot, sorry about my big melon being in the way. It was downhill, and I tried to set up behind my shooting position to capture vapor trails. I didn't think about my head being in the way for the first shot. This is my first attempt at cutting together a video too. So know that I am not a professional videographer...

I kept almost all the targets under the 6.25" wide x 10" tall milk jug size. There were three targets that are slightly bigger. The star @ 636 yards @ 16:45 is an 8" star-shape. The "milk bottle" @ 400 yards @ 23:00 is 7" wide. The round @ 538yds @ 28:20 is an 8" round.

I had two misses.

A 4" prairie dog target @ 414 yds @ 22:10 that was just left. I was holding left edge because everything else was blowing L-R. Miss. I held right edge and center punched the next shot. I think a 6.25" wide milk jug would have caught the bullet on the left. But a miss is a miss.

A small (not sure how small, but small) silhouette @ 599 yds @ 29:20 that was just low. I held top of target and drilled the next shot. A milk jug is 10" tall, and could have caught the bottom. Miss #2.

Kind of a long watch (32 minutes), and there is some dead time in the middle as I tried to find some targets that were blocked by trees from where I was set up. I could have edited the down time out, but wanted to show I was not cherry picking hits from misses and show the whole unedited time.

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to watch any videos online over about 25 seconds, so I'll take your word for it. Great shooting, and good on you for taking the time to:

1. Do a shoot similar to the backfire one (that I also didn't watch)
2. Take the time to get it on camera, edit it and upload it.

Well done all around!

I went out this morning to shoot an abbreviated (21 rounds) "Backfire Milk Jug Challenge".

I am way too lazy to set 20 milk jugs out in the desert, then go pick up the trash afterward, so I went out to Cowtown and used their steel targets.

I want to start by saying I suck at trying to focus my spotter looking at the phone screen. The first half is kind of blurry. And my first shot, sorry about my big melon being in the way. It was downhill, and I tried to set up behind my shooting position to capture vapor trails. I didn't think about my head being in the way for the first shot. This is my first attempt at cutting together a video too. So know that I am not a professional videographer...

I kept almost all the targets under the 6.25" wide x 10" tall milk jug size. There were three targets that are slightly bigger. The star @ 636 yards @ 16:45 is an 8" star-shape. The "milk bottle" @ 400 yards @ 23:00 is 7" wide. The round @ 538yds @ 28:20 is an 8" round.

I had two misses.

A 4" prairie dog target @ 414 yds @ 22:10 that was just left. I was holding left edge because everything else was blowing L-R. Miss. I held right edge and center punched the next shot. I think a 6.25" wide milk jug would have caught the bullet on the left. But a miss is a miss.

A small (not sure how small, but small) silhouette @ 599 yds @ 29:20 that was just low. I held top of target and drilled the next shot. A milk jug is 10" tall, and could have caught the bottom. Miss #2.

Kind of a long watch (32 minutes), and there is some dead time in the middle as I tried to find some targets that were blocked by trees from where I was set up. I could have edited the down time out, but wanted to show I was not cherry picking hits from misses and show the whole unedited time.

Looks like a lot of fun, and great shooting. It does show how hard 100 targets on uneven ground would be. Like the Backfire challenge or not it will get more hunters practicing their skills. This would be fun and a great way to teach kids If one has the place to do it. Start at closer range with smaller caliber.

I had two misses.

Great video and awesome trigger work

I had two misses.

Fine shooting brother

I thank you and appreciate your post. That shooting is an inspiration to me.
(But you need to edit it down to about 5 minutes so people will actually watch it.)
I thought the same thing, but I can already hear the naysayers..."He must have edited out all his misses".

Might be worth it to go edit it to just the shots. Probably cut 15+ minutes out of it.