Engineers, Smart Folk, and Realists. I Need your Help!

DoneNOut

I was told that I shouldn't store my guns on a wall horizontally. This is due to the negative effects/affects (never figured that one out) of gravity pulling down on a barrel over time and warping it. I am on the fence about this, but I am closer to believing it than not. I could go for some metallurgical guys, physimachists, and engineers to settle my brain on this. Thanks! Brad

What prompts you to be closer to believing, curious what you have been told. I'm not a metallurgist just a gunsmith, but that's a new one for me. I can't imagine a barrel fatiguing from gravity especially as short as barrels are. If it bothers you hang it from the muzzle, close to the breech, and the buttstock.

When I lived down south I have seen 2 of the best gun rooms I have ever seen and most all rifle's were on horizontal racks so I don't know for sure but guns that cost more than my house were on those racks.

What prompts you to be closer to believing, curious what you have been told. I'm not a metallurgist just a gunsmith, but that's a new one for me. I can't imagine a barrel fatiguing from gravity especially as short as barrels are. If it bothers you hang it from the muzzle, close to the breech, and the buttstock.
This is 30" MTU barrel in an MDT chassis...

Hence WHY I buy, only Hammer Forged, SUPER Duper, PERFECTLY straight Barreled,... TIKKA's !
And Store them,.. upside Down !
Be more careful,.. WHO the fug, you listen to, Bro !
Somebodies been, .." Hittin' the Sauce" me thinks
Muddyboots HAS, the correct answer ! ( from an ole' Gunsmiths point of view,.. I have to AGREE with, His "Numbers" ! ))

Last edited:
The earth is FLAT
Actually, you are correct about being FLAT, but and there would be any effect on which way the metal was positioned if it was not rotated so I would suggest that Brad rotates his rifles on a set schedule. Probably every hour.
Brad set you timer and start to rotate.
Happy New Year
Len