Elmer Keith Math

Should be simple direct proportion but you would need a precision rear sight like a Bomar. If it has grooves and a ball detent that rides in them,they have to be very precise. Bomar rides on a smooth surface with detents in the rim. If the ride on the surface any irregularities show up in your POI.

Keith just raised his front sight till the rear was even with the lines he put in the front sight. Am assuming it was several lines he put along the front sight. Roger Clouser wrote a series of articles about it in Precision Shooting years ago and Ed Wosika had a 12 page article many years ago as well, that gave extreme detail regarding his similar system. I did a lot of research along the same lines regarding it (especially the math), and the practical application of it is really quite fascinating. Windage was rarely if ever done as far as I know and it took me some time before I was able to null that out.

If I remember correctly, it was 3 lines that he put on the front sight (target blade type). I don't think he had a specific distance ( like 200,250, 300 yards) it was just evenly spaced. I have 2 of his books ( 1 was personally handed to me by him) and could look it up if anyone really wanted to know. Sorry,but he was my boyhood hero.

Can't even remember how I got started on it, but I think it was Ed Wosikaś loong article, "How to Shoot Your Pistols Accurately at Extremely Long Range". It was after Roger Clouserś PS articles, so I went back and read them, and found them also quite interesting. He was shooting his revolvers beyond 1000 yds. some using this system. I don't shoot centerfire pistols much besides SP's and my old MkIII really, but i have used the system some on a 1377 airgun (and the MkIII) with great results so far (the 1377's front sight relative to the sight radius is perfectly set up for it, though almost certainly not intentional). I just painted two orange units top and bottom of front sight, measured all three (top orange square, center black square and bottom orange square), and just calcd a MOA system, and applied it like a multi-stadia scope reticle matched to a 10 gr. pellet at 400 fps mv Chairgun ballistics program calcs. It's amazing the shots I've been able to pull off using this calcd. system. But windage took a long time to get correct since I thought that the sight radius using the horizontal front sight measurement was front sight to eye, but it was the normal front sight to rear sight system. It was a great experiment though. Interestingly though the sight radius calcs. for Elmerś system where he kept the target on top the sight and just angled the rear down to align it with one of his lines actually becomes front sight to eye.

Recent Posts