Elmer Keith Math

Should be simple direct proportion but you would need a precision rear sight like a Bomar. If it has grooves and a ball detent that rides in them,they have to be very precise. Bomar rides on a smooth surface with detents in the rim. If the ride on the surface any irregularities show up in your POI.

Keith just raised his front sight till the rear was even with the lines he put in the front sight. Am assuming it was several lines he put along the front sight. Roger Clouser wrote a series of articles about it in Precision Shooting years ago and Ed Wosika had a 12 page article many years ago as well, that gave extreme detail regarding his similar system. I did a lot of research along the same lines regarding it (especially the math), and the practical application of it is really quite fascinating. Windage was rarely if ever done as far as I know and it took me some time before I was able to null that out.

If I remember correctly, it was 3 lines that he put on the front sight (target blade type). I don't think he had a specific distance ( like 200,250, 300 yards) it was just evenly spaced. I have 2 of his books ( 1 was personally handed to me by him) and could look it up if anyone really wanted to know. Sorry,but he was my boyhood hero.

I miss the good old day of Elmer Kieth and Jack O conners in type. somewhere I think i have some 285 okh and other time period brass that are from the experimental duplex load days, oh yeah and some duplex 44 mag brass. Not many even know what that pioneer thinking was , today.