effects oftakingCollagen

I hate to be a follower but add me to the following list. 😁
I've been taking bio flex but feel that collagen may be a better option.
@M1A1ABRAMS you should probably listen to kendoist4162 and have your testosterone checked since you have low energy. I didn't do that but started taking B vitamins in the AM and has helped tremendously. Go easy though because too much and you won't be able to keep any sleep routine.

For me, I'm relatively young (half your age) but, I've ran my body into the ground. I've had two knee surgeries, one on each knee. Fought with back pain, asthma, allergies, all sorts of stuff. Switching to an almost completely carnivore diet (I'll eat some fruit) has helped me tremendously. I got off of my diet for a few months, back pain came back, went to PT (it didn't help). Quit that, started back on my diet and started lifting weights again, back pain gone, knee pain gone, asthma is in a great place, allergies not nearly as severe. I'd recommend people at least try it because I've never felt as good as I do when I'm eating this way. Cutting out processed foods- oils, sugars, grains, -seems to be tremendously beneficial. I do take some collagen and other organ supplements from a company called Heart and Soil, pretty great stuff if you ask me.

Last edited:
I used to take glucosamine/condritin capsules for joint protection.My joints were fine but I wanted to keep them that way.
Since I switched to collagen on my youngest daughter's recommendation I have learned that in fact I did have knee problems I hadn't recognized before. How did I discover this in my late 70s? Because after taking collagen for a few months my knees did not have this little "twinges" I felt after a 2 hour hike with a 20 pound pack. Getting better results as I age? Frikkin' amazing!
And now your LIPS LOOK FULLER TOO! 🤣

I have been using a marine/free range collagen powder from procaps labs along with their glucosamine/chondroitin powder for a few years now and have noticed improvement with the knees. Their stuff is a little on the spendy side, but their supplements and vitamins seem to be very high quality. I was told I would have to have knee replacements in the next 10-15 years about 10 years ago. They feel great if I keep lifting and exercising, when I quit doing that or stop using the collagen I notice a difference and joints start hurting again. I think staying away from processed sugars/foods as others mentioned helps as well with joint and overall health.

Cutting out processed foods
This is difficult for many. Processed and ultra processed foods are usually cheaper but in the long run they are very bad for you. Since we started avoiding these it's much easier to keep weight off.
I am gluten intolerant now and have been for the last 4-5 years and after looking into causes it's probable that overly processed foods caused it.
Let's face it that the majority of the foods in this country are crap that's ultra processed and filled with corn syrup. All bad for you!

Chav0_12 prompts another post on my diet. 70% of my animal protein is self harvested (gotta have salami now and again) veggies are mostly root or vine vegs and no leafy greens (kraut& kimchi being different as it's fermented), fruits are seasonal (they grow then for a reason) melons now, apples, pears etc. Pretty low carb but I make my own bread, tortillas, pasta and spaetzle Very low on processed foods and no seed oils. I use ghee, butter, bacon grease or EEVO only. Oh, and lots of eggs milk and white cheeses. Cheat foods are pizza and potato chips. Not at the same time… Portion control is key. If what goes in, doesn't come out in work, it stays and that's not good. Is it difficult? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes. Am I cut and the paragon of a male body? F no. None is to look good. Just, Get up and get shtuff done.

This has gone a bit off course but I'm actually enjoying the carnivore diet. Cutting sugar was the hardest part for me but I do use quite a bit of local honey now and that makes it easier. We raise and sell our own beef, I finish on grain and feed them to choice/prime and enjoy every bite of it. I've also gotten away from anything fried (unless I cook it in bacon fat or tallow). I'm using Vital Proteins Collagen powder from Sam's club.

56 here. Long time user of glucosamine/chondroitin. Quit for a bit and realized I needed to get back on it. Was taking collagen supplement a few years ago when running/cycling/swimming. Long story but running on injuries is stupid but I was determined. Not smart. Arthritis buildup cut my labrum which bunched in my hip joint, pushed ball out and socket rubbed a groove so to speak, hip replaced.

Now, knees acting up and cardiologist made me stop meloxicam… she has been right on and talking truth to me so I'm listen. Helps that she reminds me of Gal Gadot. A lot!

So, glu/chon believer and I liked collagen years ago, maybe I should do it again now. What is a good brand or combo to start for general supplementing and joint repair/health?

There are some who say they taking amino acids in the same proportion is collagen is better.

I've been doing some researching on collagen for a few months and especially since reading this forum. I decided from what I've read online and your great comments to give Ancient Nutrition multi collagen protein a try and ordered some today. It has 10 types of collagen plus amino acids and is 3rd party tested. Thanks for y'alls comments and I'll try to update down the road. At 67 and 37.5 years working as a Boilermaker, my knees are about worn out. Hoping it will help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240908_172707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240908_172707_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 31
This is difficult for many. Processed and ultra processed foods are usually cheaper but in the long run they are very bad for you. Since we started avoiding these it's much easier to keep weight off.
I am gluten intolerant now and have been for the last 4-5 years and after looking into causes it's probable that overly processed foods caused it.
Let's face it that the majority of the foods in this country are crap that's ultra processed and filled with corn syrup. All bad for you!
Yeah it's not cheap but, it really doesn't seem that expensive either. I usually eat about a pound of ground meat or not ground, and 4-6 eggs a day. Add in a couple of pieces of fruit and it's really not too bad. $5-$7/day depending on how cheap you can get your meat (hopefully it's meat you've harvested).

Getting off of processed foods was the easiest thing for me especially when I realized how bad they made me feel. I almost refuse to eat anything out of a box anymore.