E. R. Shaw barrels

Check all the fasteners, is your parallax set up well? Swap the scope for a known good scope.
Sometimes it's the nut behind the butt. Have someone else shoot it.

Check all the fasteners, is your parallax set up well? Swap the scope for a known good scope.
Sometimes it's the nut behind the butt. Have someone else shoot it.
All reasonable. But the "nut behind the butt" can often be discerned by the bug hole that one rifle shoots on the same day as another sprays them like a water pistol, from the same shooter, same conditions, same rest.

I like to take several guns to the range including a known shooter. I'll shoot a 5 shot group from a known shooter. Sometimes that group is also shaky -- tells me either I or the conditions were suspect. Hate that when it happens, but at least you can put an asterix next to the results and note that *all loads were poor this day.

I prefer my barrels to shoot well, being pretty is low on the list.
My previous picture showed that the barrel is a shooter.
Why not have both?

I hate the thought that I paid for a "premium" barrel, then have to pay to ship it and get it reblued.

My friends Douglas barrel is a shooter also. But Douglas doesn't do their own bluing. You have to send a separate check for the person that does the bluing for them. Kind of a PITA.
And while the bluing was decent, it wasn't the quality of ER Shaw's bluing.

Wish I could help all my shaw barrels have shot well. Same with the rifles I got from them. Start with the basics and double check everything.

I bought a ER Shaw 257AI roberts many years ago. So I went out and was firing it for the first time. pulled the trigger and it didn't sound right. I ejected the case and it dorked up the case. So I fired a second and the same thing. The case was bulged on the rim end. I sent the cases to the person that i talked to on the phone. He said that he chamber might have been machined wrong and he said to send the gun back and they would test it also.

I got back a whole new gun and is a most excellent 26 inch fluted hunting rifle.

It's very possible that you have say to long of freebore or some other machining error.

My previous picture showed that the barrel is a shooter.
Why not have both?

I hate the thought that I paid for a "premium" barrel, then have to pay to ship it and get it reblued.

My friends Douglas barrel is a shooter also. But Douglas doesn't do their own bluing. You have to send a separate check for the person that does the bluing for them. Kind of a PITA.
And while the bluing was decent, it wasn't the quality of ER Shaw's bluing.
This depends for me, some guns I shoot a ton and will burn a barrel in a year or maybe 2. Others that shoot less will last much longer. The ones that get change all the time I don't really care what they look like. The ones that will be around for a while I don't mind if they are pretty. That being said bluing isn't for me, I prefer stainless.

Recent Posts