DuPont IMR 4320, IMR 4350, IMR4227

I have some old DuPont labeled powders, one unopened of IMR 4320. Are they all good to use as long as they don't smell or appear rusty?
Before you throw away that "old" powder, look up Bruce Hodgden. Take a lookasee how he got his start in the power business. Even now, when you dig out some old shells 'come hunting season you have probably been burning some powder from WWII quite happily, safely, and without a care in the world about it. The writers who started those rumors about old smokeless powders going bad have long ago gone to heII for it. They were just looking for some sensational filler material to sell the editors of the popular "hook & bullet" magazines. The lie that properly stored powders will go bad looked like it would quickly sell, pay last month's rent, and keep Mama happy for a bit. Financially, gun-writers live precarious lives. They are mighty quick to stretch the truth. If you expect to go to Glory, you better read their screeds now, because there isn't going to be any of them in heaven.

I have some old DuPont labeled powders, one unopened of IMR 4320. Are they all good to use as long as they don't smell or appear rusty?
4320 is a great powder to use there you would otherwise burn 4895 or 4064. I think that is part of why it has been discontinued. There's nearly zero difference other than accuracy in some cartridges that can burn it.

I have 4320, 4064, and 4350 in the old metal cans. In 2020 I was breaking in a new Kreiger barrel and used the old 4350 and primers that have been in my inventory since the eighties or early nineties and it shot very accurate and with good speed in a 300WM. I did not want to waste my stash of H1000 for barrel break in. I have saw a few comments on the IMR Enduron powders not keeping very well in storage and possibly the reason for their demise.

Here ya go

Attachments

• 20230205_201344.jpg
    20230205_201344.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230205_201335.jpg
    20230205_201335.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 53
I have 4320, 4064, and 4350 in the old metal cans. In 2020 I was breaking in a new Kreiger barrel and used the old 4350 and primers that have been in my inventory since the eighties or early nineties and it shot very accurate and with good speed in a 300WM. I did not want to waste my stash of H1000 for barrel break in. I have saw a few comments on the IMR Enduron powders not keeping very well in storage and possibly the reason for their demise.
Enduron powders do not meet the new climate air bs regulations in the EU that is why they are being discontinued

Enduron powders do not meet the new climate air bs regulations in the EU that is why they are being discontinued
Yeah, I have read that also. The article on the powders not being able to be stored for long periods of time like most powders is on Accurate Shooter Forum. I hope that they are incorrect because I have 14#'s of IMR 4451 and 8133 and would hate to see it go bad before I can use it up, especially since we can't get it anymore. The guys on the other forum have pictures of the lids eaten off the cans and the powder having a reddish tint to it. It could be because of something else or bad storage habits, IDK. Thanks for the information.

The 1 thing for sure is it can/will degrade over time, but being unsafe is up to you. It's natural for carbon to do this.

Get those Powders OUT of, those Old Tin Cans and,.. into Newer "Plastic" Ones as,..
once Rust and Decomposition starts, they ARE,.. DONE !
Old Powder goes,.. POOF
aka, NO shoot em' Boolitz,.. FAST !
What I do/did 👍🏼
I had two 2 pd. cans of IMR 4350 rust through top. Powder red and stunk. Torched it off.