Drilling hole in Redding sizing die

david g ranes

Has anyone drilled a vent hole in a Redding sizing for if so what's it take to do it. Thanks. David

Attachments

• 05AF125F-AF38-47EE-9A16-C01E9034CE19.jpeg
    05AF125F-AF38-47EE-9A16-C01E9034CE19.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 337
a friend of mine says he can't full length resize without wrinkling the shoulders he swears he doesn't have to much case lube on his brass uses the spray Hornady sells he thinks it is trapped air it is a custom die they built for him I've never seen it just checking for him. David

Ok, wrinkled shoulder that resemble hydraulic dents, or rolling the shoulder?
I am musing here, he could pull the die stem and eliminate air.
I no longer use RCBS dies, but they had the vent hole somewhere on the side, I never could figure out what it accomplished.
You can roll a shoulder in a neck die to the point it will not chamber, a FL will get it to fit in the chamber, but needs to ironed out by firing.

a friend of mine says he can't full length resize without wrinkling the shoulders he swears he doesn't have to much case lube on his brass uses the spray Hornady sells he thinks it is trapped air it is a custom die they built for him I've never seen it just checking for him. David
I hate typing lengthy responses, but the thread pattern for die innards are coarse enough to let air escape as the case enters the die. If he is not over lubing, I would point at the die itself.
He needs to clean the die, and that area of it well. Try again, Every single time I have gotten hydraulic dents, there will have been blackish excess lube built up right at the case-shoulder junction. It is like clockwork, either choose to address it, or wait till dents appear and then clean it.

He said that he can't run the die touching the ram or it does it he backs it off enough to keep it from happening then has issue closing the bolt because shoulder isn't bumped back enough felt it was trapped air I'll have him pull the recapped and try

The die was custom made by Redding he was hoping to not have the expense of having another one built he contacted forester they said wouldn't do it. David. Thanks for everyone's input

He said that he can't run the die touching the ram or it does it he backs it off enough to keep it from happening then has issue closing the bolt because shoulder isn't bumped back enough felt it was trapped air I'll have him pull the recapped and try
Tell him not to rule the die out, and Redding should rectify if suspect. Good luck.

Definitely sounds like too much lube. Clean the die real good and try putting a very thin layer of lube on with his fingers. Spray lube goes all over the neck and shoulder. As the neck starts to size all the lube gets pushed down to the shoulder and gets trapped there. It has no where to go but in against the brass. If he wants to use the spray just wipe off the neck and shoulder with a towel before he runs it in.
Shep

Definitely sounds like too much lube. Clean the die real good and try putting a very thin layer of lube on with his fingers. Spray lube goes all over the neck and shoulder. As the neck starts to size all the lube gets pushed down to the shoulder and gets trapped there. It has no where to go but in against the brass. If he wants to use the spray just wipe off the neck and shoulder with a towel before he runs it in.
Shep
I'll tell him. David

Shep

+1 on the wrong kind of case lube application and/or a dirty die.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.