DPMS G2 7.62 Replacement Bolt

Turpentine21

Guys I've had my DPMS G2 7.62 x 51 since around 2012. It has always cratered primers. It's never pierced primers so I waited a bit before I decided I needed to do something with it. Wrong move, Remington goes bankrupt and no more DPMS. So I recently started doing some research into getting a replacement. I sent Adam Arms an e mail . They mailed me a bolt that that they said would work and said i would need their firing pin but to use my cam pin. I also needed to switch out the gas rings on the bolt. I loaded some of my longest normal headspace loads with no problem. I have not fired the bolt yet but plan to tomorrow. The only shortcoming I see is the Adams bolt has a single ejector where my DPMS was w double ejector bolt. Time will tell. I plan to shoot it in the morning.

Last edited:
Finally got to shoot my G2 today. Worked like a charm. Ejects where it should And the proper distance. Measured fired brass from old vs new bolts with my comparator and headspace seems to be the same or very, very close. The best part, No Cratering. Even though I always ran medium loads, it was disconcerting to say the least to see all the cratering.

I don't have any gen2's and not familiar with the uppers. What all is different about it?

The g2 is a small frame AR 10 for lack of a better term. A hybrid. It's a 7.5 lb 7.62/260 that had the larger mag well, a bastard sized lower, upper, bolt, bolt carrier. The bolt was a double ejector design which certainly worked well. The barrel nut and extension were proprietary as well. When Remington went belly up DPMS folded and a lot of folks got left in the lurch. Parts of course got scarce. Now several other companies are working on a small frame And some use some of the G2 design. Zev, POF, The MA 10, Adams Arms, are just a few. I think Ruger and Savage are trying their hand now as well.
The G2 was a very good platform with some solid improvements over the LR 308. Especially for the hunter where weight was concerned. Parts are popping up from these other companies now that cross with the G2 platform but it's a bit of a job to learn exactly what does cross. Since Adams Arms sells a complete piston kit for the G2, I figured the bolt might cross so I emailed them and got a good answer.
Parts haven't been easy to find with Remington going under so it's nice to see this happenin. It's easily my favorite gas gun and has been ultra reliable. Mine started as their Hunter model with a carbon fiber hand guard but has been modded into more of a SASS configuration. You can google DPMS and still look at all the DPMS models.
One of the Issues with the DPMS G2 was the aperture or firing pin hole was too large and tolerance on the other end at the tip of the firing pin was small. Many pierced or cratered primers badly. Before I could get a replacement the company folded. I could have gotten the bolt bushed and still may as a backup. But I wanted to try the Adams bolt first.

Last edited:
I have a DPMS-G2 that has always done the same thing and it has drove me nuts. Beyond the primers, I have not had an AR platform that beats up the brass as much as this gun does. I have tried adjustable gas blocks and other items with no luck. It is a shooter though and as you said it runs well.

Is this the correct company you called? https://adamsarms.net/
I was looking on their site and didn't see the bolt head you mentioned.
Thank you,

Yes. Direct from the company Adams Arms. The new bolt may actually help you with your brass situation as mine never would eject at the proper angle with the old bolt. Possibly an issue with the double ejectors. I have an SLR adjustable block on mine. Mine is much easier on brass with the new bolt.

I simply emailed Adams Arms directly. Let me see if I can find those emails. Don't forget you will need to put a set of gas rings for the bolt. The bolt comes from their piston driven kit and doesnt need rings when running a piston. Your old ones from your old bolt will work or you can buy a set of rings. You also need the Adams Arms firing pin. The taper is different from the DPMS pin as it's more of a high pressure bolt system. If I find the emails I will post them here to help you. Links to the actual parts will be included.

Wink. Here is the information that you will need. I used my old gas rings. But they may send a set if you ask. I dont know if they will honor the discount code as I just copied the emails. If you email them they may extend the offer.
1678367858211.png

1678368037103.png

I never understood the "lightweight/mid-size frame/proprietary" 308ar business.

You can build an ultralight dpms lr308/sr25 compatible rifle for reasonable prices -- mine is under $1k, 5.8 pounds with 3-9x scope (could be lighter if i wanted to spend more $$ on more ti and magnesium parts) --- why go through all that proprietary bs when you can buy lr308/sr25 compatible parts?

At the time I bought mine, around 2009 I think, you didn't have all the choices you have today. The LR 308 platform at that time was heavy as a boat anchor. Compatibility and build parts for AR 10/ LR 308 platforms have come a long way. Armalite had an option about that time as well. This was before the big AR Boom. The G2 is one heck of a platform and fortunately some of these other companies are finally taking up the technology. The drawback is the somewhat proprietary nature. The plus is many AR 15 parts cross into the picture.

Last edited: