Do you use a taper crimp on your AR-15 .223 ammo?

It is going to be over 100 degrees for the next two weeks in my place. I am poiled in my old age, want cooler temps. And no, I can't move.
What do you load those 53 vmax for a standard AR type? (16 inch, 1;8)
I don't do well with those temps anymore either. When it gets that hot I try to get out early and call it a day before it gets unbearable.

I've been loading my 223-5.56 ammo with an older SB RCBS die set with a roll crip die and have had trouble with some bullets not chambering and sticking in the chamber! I built a 6mm ARC 2 winters ago and the new RCBS AR specific die set I use has a taper crimp seating die. I have not had any problems with this setup. I measure the necks and crimp to .001 to .002.

I have never crimped a .223 Rem reload and haven't seen a need to. However, if the need arises I'll get one of these:

All my 223/AR hand loading is done for 200/300 yard Egg Shoot competition. I use Lapua brass, FL size with a standard Redding Dye, and seater with no crimp. Load is 25gr Varget, BR4 Primers, 69gr SMK. DPMS 24" Varmint Upper. Accuracy <.3MOA, no failures to feed in +2000 rounds fired. 15+ Reloads on brass, no annealing.

I have tried the 53 gr. V-Max and they shoot very well in both my service rifle that I shot in service rifle matches on reduced courses (100 yds.) and also vary accurate in my varmint AR that I mentioned in previous post. I went to the 60 gr. V-Max for a little more punch on the larger varmints such as coyotes and wolves here in Idaho. Also I believe the 60 gr. will carry a little better at 300 yds.

I have tried the 53 gr. V-Max and they shoot very well in both my service rifle that I shot in service rifle matches on reduced courses (100 yds.) and also vary accurate in my varmint AR that I mentioned in previous post. I went to the 60 gr. V-Max for a little more punch on the larger varmints such as coyotes and wolves here in Idaho. Also I believe the 60 gr. will carry a little better at 300 yds.
I get 3080 fps in my 20" HBAR 1-9" barrel with the 53 gr vmax pretty easily with Benchmark. My guess is 3000 fps with a 60 vmax. At the 300 yard mark I still have better slightly energy, or at least equal energy. I'd run the numbers with your velocities, I used JBM. I had a chance about a month ago on three yotes. But they were running in high winds, the closest was 580 yards and the farthest was beyond my old Leica rangefinder. Probably close to 1100 yards. No shots fired, I didn't want to educate them and they were beyond range for high winds.

I hear you though, more mass is always comforting. I was looking at the 60 vmax before seeing the 53 vmax BC's. I like 55 gr Ballistic Tips for tougher predators. But if I get a yote with the 53 vmax I'll post whether they do well or not.

Do you apply a taper crimp on the AR cartridges?

ShtrRdy,

You know if you decide you want a cannelure bullet(s) or case for that matter, you can do so yourself with something like I use the CH4D there are others out there as well, but this one I've used forever. When I started loading M262 Mod-1 77gr. OTM clones... for my AR-Car sometimes I couldn't find the Sierra 77gr. bullet with a cannelure so I bought Sierra's 77gr Mk's and put cannelure on them myself, works great, I can't tell any difference in accuracy between the two, they seem to shoot one right behind the other in my AR(s) I also use to cannelure my Sierra 60gr. Varmint HP's and their 65gr. GK SPBT which is a great bullet for Yote's in my old H&K 630 one I wish I'd kept, they work just as well in my ARs, bolt guns, and my Remington M760 pump in .223 and does a great job in my, .22-250 Rem bolt gun as well. I just don't feel good with none crimp cartridges in autoloaders due to bullet setback upon feeding which can affect accuracy and pressure "if" it happens, so if I'm shooting a taper crimp in one of my AR(s) most of the time I'll use a Sinclair AR single shot mag follower in a short ten round mag, we are talking range time here. Well, as always good luck and cheers!

1654612412658.png

Do you apply a taper crimp on the AR cartridges?
No, as I previously said in earlier post I only crimp if the bullet has a cannelure and then I just roll crimp, I mostly only crimped 55 gr. fmjbt or the Hornady 55 gr. sp with cannelure, these 2 bullets I mostly use for practice, the Hornady 55 gr. sp comes in both with cannelure and without, the 55 gr. without the cannelure is very accurate in the AR's I've shot them in.