Do you hunt alone or with buddies and relatives ?

I have done both since I was a child but for whatever reason get the most out of it alone. There is something very different about being alone, really all alone out in the bush. That first night getting reaclimated to everything. How sensitive I am to the sounds at night. Then it's like something clicks and everything just feels right and as if it's the way it should be. Centered

Gotta admit though if someone wanted to show up to help pack out the game I think that might be enjoyable. But I do very much enjoy hunts one on one with my daughters and my wife but not as a group. Even camping I prefer on my own or at most one other person. This might change as I am getting ready to be a grandpa (pappy I am told) this fall. I got vetoed on being called Hefe .

Now a days I just wish I had my old connection and friends, as to many who have passed on, to hunting grounds in the mid west AK Canada. We use to all host each other, mix n match, each yr. I can not afford the prices today wanted for hunts. Certainly not for as much as I wish to hunt.

Last edited:
When I was young I hunted for deer with family. It was a total outing for the entire family. I hunted birds and small game by myself with my dog. As I got older and family passed or dispersed around the country I began to hunt mainly alone for everything. This was a very satisfying part of my hunting life. Then, about 20 years ago I married a woman that loves to go hunting (not shooting/hunt but finding/hunt) so all hunting is now done together. She is a GREAT spotter and I like to shoot so all works out well. This, to me, is the most satisfying hunting I have ever done.

When I was young I hunted for deer with family. It was a total outing for the entire family. I hunted birds and small game by myself with my dog. As I got older and family passed or dispersed around the country I began to hunt mainly alone for everything. This was a very satisfying part of my hunting life. Then, about 20 years ago I married a woman that loves to go hunting (not shooting/hunt but finding/hunt) so all hunting is now done together. She is a GREAT spotter and I like to shoot so all works out well. This, to me, is the most satisfying hunting I have ever done.
You are definitely blessed when you have a woman that loves what you do. It gives you that extra drive to get out there. Especially on the days when the weather isn't so nice. And staying in bed is the easy button. lol

I use to hunt with my dad from the age of 3 till i was 36 when he quit hunting .Then in alaska i took every kid i could find hunting for 12 years .Then i came back to ga took more kids hunting till i ran out of kids to take .I had some good hunting buddies but they are all in Heaven .I have hunteed alone the past 10 years or so .
Sons,Brothers grandson and friends..... have been since the 60`s..... Wis.deer camp.Useta be 9 of us now 6.....

Big game was always just my dad and I till he started having mobility issues. Then my son suddenly got interested at age 28. My wife decided to give it a try the same year as my son. So since 2016 it's been my wife or son or both.
Upland game (mostly chukars) was usually my dad and I, but 1 of his friends used to hunt with us a fair amount too.
Coyotes I started hunting with a friend, but soon realized that I had better luck alone. Took my dad a few times over the years. Took my wife or son quite a bit over the years as well. I hand called my wife and son's first coyotes, and my dad's last coyote.
Now that I'm in E. Tenn. I honestly have no idea what my hunting future will look like.

I’ve always enjoyed hunting alone. No discussion where we should go or whatever. My kids came along and they all expressed interest in participating. My 2 young adult sons (19 & 22) and I now archery elk hunt together. I’ve been mentoring my oldest daughter who hunted on her own last year and was successful. This year I have another teenage daughter to introduce to the hunt. I greatly enjoy hunting with my kids when I am primarily trying to help them be successful, but when it comes to me and “my” hunts I prefer to go it alone. I love the solitude and the freedom to wander and hunt without the need to compromise and blend the thoughts and ideas of other hunters.

Last edited:
I have only done solo a couple of times. Getting an elk out by yourself isn’t fun, but the hunt is good when you pick the path.

In recent years my brother in law got back into hunting after years away from it. Him and I get along great so it’s a lot of fun.

I have been invited to tag along with other folks which I have done but in those cases prefer to take someone from the group the group who isn’t very experienced so I can hunt the way I want. If you go with someone set in their ways and it conflicts it’s not enjoyable. I did a trip one year with a friend and his buddy. My friend wanted to drive around in his side by side so I said no problem, I am going to park and hike in for the day. I was the only one who saw elk so his buddy wanted to join me on day 2. He ****ed and moaned about walking through blowdown, bugs, you name it. I saw elk and his eyes must have been closed. We had caws at 50 yards archery hunting but no clear shot and it was super thick so they busted out when I moved to change the angle. They literally ran 20 yards behind him after they spooked and he never saw them. He was convinced I didn’t see em either. After that I am selective who I go with. He whined for 2 days after about the terrible hike I took him on.

I am willing to hike all day, take it a bit easy if someone needs, or even hunt their style, but don’t complain if someone is willing to take you out. Hunts aren’t always successful but getting out and away from work, the city, etc is the best part. Success is the icing on the cake for me 😀

I am the oldest of six children. My Mother and Father loved to hunt and we always hunted as a family. There are memories that are made with others that will last a life time.
We hunted elk in MT in November of last year and as has been the case for most of my life, my hunting partner was my father. He hit 95 in March and his health has taken a serious turn for the worst. He is currently in hospice. I fear that I am going to lose my life long hunting partner.
Personally, hunting with friends and family only allows you to share memories that otherwise might not be known to anyone but you.

Mixture of alone. With a kid or with some buddies. Local big game tags I like to hunt alone mostly or take one of my kids. Now that my two kids are getting older they go with more and more. I set up a group hunt for hogs and exotics in Texas with some buddies every year. Thats mostly a guys trip kinda thing where we shoot stuff, smoke cigars and enjoy good scotch and bourbon without judgement from any of our wives.

I hunted alone most of my life simply because it's difficult to find someone who wants to go where I want to go and hunt like I want to hunt. Sheep and mule deer in the high country are good solo hunts, bear is okay solo, but when it comes to moose, elk and grizzly it doesn't work so well. It's nice when you are alone and comfortable in the woods to be able to go in any direction your whims and fancies take you. The downside is carrying more gear in case you get in trouble or see something worth spending the night out for. I have had a few close calls that could have ended badly but nowadays with the high tech gadgets you can carry for support, things are safer. Getting old is the big changer. Solo hunts become shorter and serious hunts, where you expect to get something, require help. It's a downer in some ways because hunting with a partner becomes more social and you end up talking too much. It would be nice to be young and strong forever but if you are a hunter you take what you can get.