Do you guys cull brass that “had pressure”

Ryeguy

Was watching a YouTube video and the guy said if you shoot a load and have pressure signs (hard bolt lift, ejector marks, etc) Your supposed to throw that brass out because plasticity somethin, somethin, and the case will never resize or act like the other brass. Curious how important that is? Will this only be seen in BR style small groups or will the average guy see a difference? Wanted to hear other opinions. I’ve been doing load development and have hit pressure a few times thought the different outings and still have them in rotation. Curious if I need to get new brass and start over or is this only seen on paper by elite shooters?

I use feeler gauges to test the primer pockets on brass that has a few loadings on it. Once it doesn't fit tight, I toss them. Most of these are on magnums (300 WM, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua), but do it on my 308 if I see pressure signs. I don't think I have had issues with brass not going back to "size". All have shot well enough to keep them. Just anneal and size. I will check to ensure they will chamber after before loading, but only do a sample size, not all the cases.

All that said, I do not push my pressure limits. Others may have different experiences. I tend to run them slower than I have seen posted on the intewebs...

I keep mine until the pockets get loose. Never had any issues. I had some 280ai brass the i fired in a chamber that was over polished at an angle from a well known barrel maker. Left a .010 bulge in the side of the case just forward of the web, sized it and still use it. After the barrel was replaced of course

Was watching a YouTube video and the guy said if you shoot a load and have pressure signs (hard bolt lift, ejector marks, etc) Your supposed to throw that brass out because plasticity somethin, somethin, and the case will never resize or act like the other brass. Curious how important that is? Will this only be seen in BR style small groups or will the average guy see a difference? Wanted to hear other opinions. I’ve been doing load development and have hit pressure a few times thought the different outings and still have them in rotation. Curious if I need to get new brass and start over or is this only seen on paper by elite shooters?
Sounds like Primal Rights.?

Brass has it's character. I believe each case has it's own. The 'guy' is right about undoing changes to brass. You can't really.
This, because brass has it's memory. It always wants to go where it's been.

For pressure testing, I use culled brass that I do not intend to use going forward. With this, I get my max load for a choice of bullet/powder.
I stay under that max with load development.
But also with load development & beyond, if I get a flyer, I toss the witch causing it.

Last edited:
I have seen Chuck Hunters reload 22-250 brass until they have holes in the neck of the brass.
Personally we shoot Lapua brass and it is expensive, but if I see anything not right with a piece of Brass. I throw it in a brass pile.

Last edited:
Brass has it's character. I believe each case has it's own. The 'guy' is right about undoing changes to brass. You can't really.

You can't really know a brass problem without careful control over it.
With a past wildcat I measured 1,000 cases to pick out ~120 identical.
After neck turning/preps/full fire forming I measured case H20 capacities. This took me down to ~80 identical, of which I use 50.
If at any time, one of those 50 threw a shot, I would toss it without hesitation.
It could only throw a shot because something about it is different.
Or you have an out of balance or slightly different bullet. Not all bullets/jackets are equal, and some are worse than others. It was one of the reasons many of us old BR shooters swaged our own, so we could have more control over the jackets and cores used in the process.

In my experiences, and several others, the bullet played a far bigger role in group size than the brass did. Having measured, weighed and inspected countless "match" bullets, finding several measurement variances in a box is very common.

Last edited:
Ejector marks are not always a sign of too high of pressure, for a chamber with lubricant can cause this with a safe load. I've seen and experienced this a few times, and after the chamber was cleaned and dried, no more marks from the exact same loads.

As for your question, I use brass until the primer pocket expands, and even then there are ways and at least one tool that can help tighten pockets for another shot or two.

Brass cases handle pressures from a few thousands of psi to 75-80,000 psi with everything in between, and some softer brass will show "pressure signs" long before some others will.

Last edited:
There are several different signs of pressure to choose from and I would for me that some are more significant than others. I consider loose primer pockets and excessive web thinning about 0.2" above the base of the brass where I can see hairline cracks forming the point where they will be culled.

OPs other question: Over pressure issues are not limited to BR brass.

I have not seen the video the OP watched but I'm pretty sure the speaker was talking about elastic and plastic deformation. The difference being that metals return to their previous shape under elastic deformation loads but are permanently deformed under higher plastic deformation loads.

Curious if I need to get new brass and start over or is this only seen on paper by elite shooters?
Going against common beliefs, I cull brass for my precision rifles (capable of less than .25MoA) that exhibit ANY subtle differences to the rest, including primer seating feel, bullet seating force or even growth different to the rest during sizing. This all matters. It’s not thrown away…yet, just taken from the batch and relegated to other duties.
I often used culled brass to test bullet seating depth or primers.

Also, I never test powder with new brass, if you do, you’re just wasting time and components. Use it for seating depth.

Cheers.