Do I really need Sitka gear to hunt mule deer in Idaho in October

Sitka or any other expensive gear is definitely not necessary. That's not to say they aren't nice. Layering is key and as others have said merino wool base layers are outstanding. And by the way…you folks buying gear from REI should seriously look into their support of anti-hunting/shooting organizations.

Thank you gentlemen for the very thorough answers. I truly appreciate it.
Do you gentlemen have suggestions as to which pieces of gear that would work well (Sitka)?
I looked at the Sportsman's Outdoors yesterday and was kind of dizzy with all the different styles.
So if you guys were in my shoes and didn't mind buying good gear BUT didn't want to buy one of every style Sitka has, what would you choose?

Thank you all so much for the help.
This is my first rodeo.

As far as the boots, I addressed that earlier on. I knew my old Rocky's were barely hanging on so I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and have been working on breaking them in for the last couple months.
Most of what guys are recommending are correct except the blue jeans and flannel. Don't do that. Cotton is no good for backpacking, which is an element of backpack hunting. Just because someone did it, doesn't mean it was a good idea.

While the point of camo not being "necessary" is partly true, the point of the gear being recommended is that it keeps you in the field longer, and prevents bacteria, hypothermia and unnecessary weight for bigger bulkier layers. A warmth to weight ratio if you will. Or breathable base layers that will wick sweat. As far as patterns, I do believe that having SOME type of pattern helps break up your silhouette while archery hunting. If I'm crawling through 500y of sage in my socks, you best bet I'm going to try to give myself every advantage.

I wouldn't marry myself to the brand if at all possible. But I would at least look for a merino hoody for skin contact and sun protection, a grid fleece, and a puffy. Merino socks and underwear. I only carry two per 5 days and rotate them so they dry.
Dealers choice on rain gear.

I actually like trail runners for shoes. I've had good success with them, and I like the freedom and lightness they give me. Keep in mind I'm pretty fit and don't have weak or injured ankles.

I do have crispi Laponias, which are a little heavier than the trail runners, they're fine I guess. More expensive obviously. I have the Nevada's too, which I don't really use for anything. I have some lacrosses for canyoneering, and some hanwags for mountaineering. I used my Salomon quest for years during regular season as well. Salomon's are fine. People complain about the water proofing doesn't work, but my $400 crispi's leak too if I don't maintenance them.

Crispi's from my last hunt I just got back from a few hours ago, and the rest form other hunts and such.
IMG_2603.jpegIMG_2242.jpegIMG_1986.jpeg

Last edited:
So I have my first out west mule deer hunt on the books for October. I have always hunted in the southeast and typically in a stand. This hunt may require several miles of hiking per day. I am looking at the possibility of buying some Sitka gear since it is available locally to me. Question is, what are the pros of this gear and is it worth it? Do I need it or would it be a waste of a lot of money?
I was thinking of pants and a jacket plus some other merino base layers if needed. Im truly at a loss. Someone school me.

Steve
What part of Idaho are you hunting in? and no I don't think you would need that type of gear... I've hunted Idaho both north and south for nearly 15 years. Cheers

I am a huge fan of wool clothing for hiking or hunting in cool to cold conditions. I have used the same Wooltimate jacket from Cabelas for years. I am sure there is lighter stuff. But it seems to be just right in cold and really cold conditions. I always start with Midway's merino wool base layer either light or medium. I have friends who swear by the Fox Pro wool base layers. I am sure Sitka is fine. But until my wool stuff wears out, I will stick with it.

I am embarrassed to say, that one time I bought some scent lok stuff to bow hunt in. Talk about unnecessary.

I have Sitka raingear; the best thing about it no one has mentioned is that has no internal lining that can soak up water. I have a Cabelas jacket that is notorious for wicking water from the wrist area.

I don't like to sweat, so depending on the temp, I bring two skin layer shirts. I hike in one. When I get to where I am going to glass, I take it off (assuming it is wet with sweat) and put on the dry one. I hang the wet one on a bush to dry. When I am off hiking again, I put on the wet one.

One other thing I do: if it is cool (not cold) and raining and I am hiking, I put on my rain parka with nothing underneath.

You don't need to get fancy. When I sheep hunted in AK, I brought two polypro tops and bottoms, rain paints and parka, a warm layer, a cotton t shirt (I know, don't bring cotton), and hiking shorts. If was warm, I hiked with the t shirt and shorts. Cooler temps, I put on top and bottom poly then pulled shorts over. Windy or raining; put on the rain paints and parka. Cold - put on the warm inner layer.

It's a must for me. If forgot my sitka gear at home I would either be turning around or buying new on the way to the mountain. That being said, it doesn't necessarily have to be sitka gear. I just happen to use it. I'd say the most important is stay away from cotton and trust in the layering system. It really does work. There are many other more affordable brands out there than sitka though. I believe a very affordable system can be utilized with just about the same performance as sitka gear but at a much smaller pricepoint. Check out Black Ovis and heed some of the recommendations from previous posters!

Don't need it but nice to have. If you hunt archery, then I think good camo is a good idea. I didn't see anyone mention it, but a lot of the new camo is cut for an athletic build…which I like.

I can't remember what pants they are, but I have the Sitka pants that have the knee pads. Love them. When you're butchering an animal in rocks or snow you're not grinding your knees in the ground or cold wet snow.

I've found it to be extremely durable. Lasts me many years.

I also like Kuiu and 1st Lite stuff. Between the three companies, I find what I need and buy it when they have sales.

Think differently about gear when hunting spot and stalk in the mountains, where you're going to be active climbing, hiking, then sit for a period of time glassing, then back on the move again. Temps can vary from 60 degrees to below freezing, and many places the wind never stops. You need to have layers that can easily be added on or taken off. Merino is great for base layers, throw in some soft shell outer garments, a puffy jacket for cold weather insulation, and high quality rain gear. And I agree with the above post, don't go cheap on the boots. Camo is ok but isn't necessary, natural colors work fine. Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, Stone Glacier are a few brands I've been around or personally used that have quality high tech light weight fabrics.