Best Sitka Jacket for late season Mule Deer hunt

jackthebear

Fellas,

Looking for some real world advice on the best Sitka Jacket for late season Mule Deer hunts. Temps can get down to the -15 degree level. Because I'm LRH I'm not moving a ton, only when I have to warm up.

I use the Timberline or Stormfront jacket depending upon how wet it is with a Kelvin jacket underneath for warmth and it works well.

Kuiu ultra-down beneath a Sitka Jetstream is really versatile. With just 2 base layers (poly liner + merino), plenty warm this season in -10F with 30+mph winds. Stormfront is even better, but versatile for hiking and hunting in quieter conditions.

Recently been researching the same as you. I ended up buying some Kuiu Guide series and kanai jacket, and the Sitka Blizzard jacket. I spent 5 days in Iowa first week of Dec. I am a 5th Gen Floridian with 6% body fat so I get cold extremely easy but this is what I experienced. The Guide series from KUIU is basically a soft shell with a micro fleece liner. Pros are fit, stretch, durability and light weight. Cons are not very wind resistant, no insulation, no room for any insulation underneath. The Kanai jacket is a great insulation layer. But it is pretty fragile, in 5 days it tore in 2 small places(briars) contacted KUIU about it but got no help. The Sitka Blizzard jacket is great. Durable, warm, and breaths. IMO Sitka is the way to go anything late season.

I'm looking at the Sitka Cold Front Jacket has anyone ran that jacket and if so what are your thoughts?

I would highly recommend you take a look at the sawtooth - its a great jacket with warmth in the right spots. Also the Klamath would be a great choice as well.

I have looked at the Sawtooth and love it I had it in my mind that would be a great mid-season and looked at the Cold Front as a better option for late season/ wet option. I'm a believer that FirstLite / Sitka are both great choices. I'm not being paid so I have no problem wearing both.

I love the Sitka gear and my number one jacket is the Kelvin Light hoodie. I put on a base of merino, then a sitka fleece over that. I hunt mostly in those two. If it is windy or I'm sitting glassing, I then put on the Kelvin Light Hoodie, it cuts the wind and is very warm. If I need more, I put on the Packable stormfront rain gear.

I also own the Kelvin Down Hoodie - by far the warmest jacket I've ever worn. 20 below zero, riding a 4 wheeler and you don't feel the cold come through. You can't hike in it or you will boil and it does not pack down super small, but it is awesome when it gets super cold and you have to sit a ridge for hours looking for critters. Might I also suggest you look into the zip on Kelvin pants, they are amazing insulation layer when sitting. They run a tad small so upsize one to you have room to move.

Good luck

I had the Sitka Coldfront, and it wasn't warm enough for me. I bought the Sitka Blizzard Parka, and it is the best! (for me anyway). It comes down a little further (past the waist), to keep the small of your back from getting exposed to the wind when you sit down. It also has the same rubber-like material as the Timberline pants knees on the lower part of the back for a "keep your butt dry" when sitting down. It has more insulation than the Coldfront. I really like it.

Last edited:
Several people have said that the Coldfront wasn't great for warmth. Apparently it's a insulated rain jacket. For my location and on recommendations I think the Kelvin line is a better option for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.